1st Build - Flame Wheel F450 frame

Hey Everybody,After many hours of frustration and research, I have finally decided to build my first quad. For the frame, I've bought the Flame Wheel F450. Now I'm trying to decide which motors and props to fit. Because it's my first quad, I'm well aware that there will be many crashes. For that reason, I'm looking for parts that aren't very expensive but also not junk. Any ideas/successful builds are greatly appreciated!Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Ian,

Actually the best deal is just to get the F450 ARF kit which comes with the DJI motors and Opto ESCs and perfectly serviceable 10" props.

You can get the whole thing for under $200.00 and the motors and ESCs are very good quality for the price.

I have an F450, and F330 and a Hoverthings FLIP Sport all equipped with the DJI motors and ESCs and find them to be more reliable than anything at the same or lower price.

And very sturdy and serviceable while learning and the inevitable mishaps.

You can also get the DJI motors and Opto ESCs at a good price if you look around on the Internet.

An alternative for the ESCs could be the Quattro 4 in 1 ESC.

Here is a link to the Wikis Flamewheel build (I wrote it): http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/dji-f330-flamewheel/

and even though it's for an F330, everything is pretty much the same for the F450.

Also here is a link to Both Flamewheels builds on my quadcoptersarefun.com web site:

http://quadcoptersarefun.com/2FlamewheelsBuild.html

The F450 was a really good choice however you go about it.

With the real DJI motors on it and 10" props it has very good performance and is extremely rugged.

Best Regards,

Gary

• Hey Gary,

So, it's been about a year since I last posted here in this thread (as you can see). I've taken a look at your wiki post and your website (both helped a lot!!!!). Now I have pulled some parts together and have a few questions. My initial goal is just to learn how to fly a quadcopter. I eventually want to get into FPV.

However, I'm currently completely lost when it comes to ESCs.

What is the difference between an ESC and an ESC OPTO? I've been looking at the Afro ESCs with Simonk on HobbyKing but I'm not sure which one to get or if that is even a decent ESC...

Which ESC should I be considering using with the parts I already have (please see below)?

What size battery should I be looking for if I'm using the DJI 2212s and 10x4.5 props?

This is what I have so far:

F450 frame (with built-in PDB)

4 x DJI 2212/920kV

CC3D Atom FCB or the Naza M-Lite (haven't bought it yet but I assume the naza would be better for FPV once I get there??)

Cheap 10x4.5 props (for learning but suggestions for decent props after getting through the beginning phases of learning to fly are appreciated)

Thanks for your time!

Best,

Ian

• Ian, I just built my 1st quad on the same frame. I went hobby king with 1000 kv NTM 28-26 motors, and 10" 4.7 cheap plastic props. When running a 3S 5000 mah bat i get 12-15 min of flight time. It's snappy and flew pretty good without tuning. After auto tune it was slightly better. Perfect learning platform
    • Hey Trevor,

What battery are you using?

This reply was deleted.

Activity