Developer

Hi,

I have been setting up my configuration of my APM2.5 with 3DR Radio Telemetry link.

I've noticed what seems to be quite a serious problem. I am powering my plane using my Lab PSU which limits current. If the motor kicks in and triggers a current limit and triggers the APM to reset, the telemetry link will not be established.

To re-link I have to unplug the ground radio and back in again, and cycle the power to the APM2.5 (and therefore power down the air radio), then the link is reestablished.

Any ideas why after a brown out the link fails. Is this an issue with the APM2.5 or APM Mission Planner not sending the correct command to reset the link? or is it something i need to configure in the radios? i.e. they only 'pair' when turned on at the same time?

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Anytime I lose power on my APM, say by changing the batteries, I have to click on "Disconnect" and "Connect" again.  Not a major problem because I am on the ground, and this starts a new set of log files.

I suspect that this is a Windows driver issue.

• Bill, I have had this happen countless times myself. The brown outs from my stand point occurred when the voltage to APM went below say 4.3 - 4.1 volts under load give or take. When it rebooted not only did I see link not re-establish but also sensors were now not centered at zero. So If I re-engaged the APM say for RTL then the plane would go nuts!

After many discussions with Jordi on the back channel, I decided to utilize a separate power source for APM. I have not had a single brown out since, and have never lost RF link with 3DR radios. I agree if someone is using a single source and this happens, it will be dangerous potentially - especially for new APM users and those who are not as solid on RC flight skills. Personally I would not run APM on single source ever after the many brown outs I encountered when I first turned the lights on with my APM. 

• Developer

I've raised this as a defect Issue 780 as I think that without this fixed, safe flight can only be better supported if the APM uses a separate power source. brown out seems like a very likely issue when battery power is getting lower.

If you lose telemetry due to power on the output side being low, you more likely to lose your plane, even if you kill the motor so you avoid the excess power drain, the APM won't restart and possibly send an updated 'last know position'

This reply was deleted.

Activity