43lbs Thrust Hexacopter Configuration Help

Hi there, I'm new to DIY Drones and this is my first post. I'm currently working on building a drone frame. The purpose of it is for aerial photography/cinematography. However, I need a few tips or suggestions as to how I should go about choosing the parts required. Based on the things I want to lift, the total weight of my configuration ended up being 7,262.25g (16.01lbs). I did the normal calculation for the exact amount of thrust needed which came out to 14,524.5g (32.02lbs) and went ahead 50% more for an optimal thrust of 18,155.62g (40.3lbs) to have room for the motors to actually be able to maneuver the craft and whatnot. 

I chose the Quanum Series 5206 320kv motors for this application because I read that if I ran them with 18" propellers, they would be able to reach up to 3300g (7.28lbs) of thrust each. Multiply that by 6 and you have 43lbs of thrust all together. However, I'm not sure how to choose the correct battery for this kind of setup. I need something that will give me a good amount of flight time so I thought that choosing a 6s 10,000 mAh battery would be fine. I chose two of these, specifically the Kypom 6s 35c. If there is a better choice or any suggestion on the battery, that would be highly appreciated as I need some help with that. I'm also running a Pixhawk flight controller along with the telemetry addon and GPS. The gimbal has it's own battery that is separate from the drone. I also went with the Hobby King Blue Series 40A ESC.

If you're curious about the frame I'm making, I will most likely post renders later on this month as I'm still designing it. It's shape is inspired by a Manta Ray and it's 1250mm across due to the 18" propellers. It will be fabricated out of two types of carbon fiber; Blue aramid carbon fiber for the canopy and normal carbon fiber for the arms. The base plates will be fabricated out of carbon fiber with a foam core. The goal is to design something sleek, modern, and functional. Method of production include 3D printing, specifically stereolithographic printing as it offers better accuracy and better raw surface finish.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies

This reply was deleted.

Activity