I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.
Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.
If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.
i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.
found it, thankyou :D
sorry, was on the road and couldn't get the link from my iphone. Glad you've found it.
One of the picture post I had: http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/450-mounting-positions-lot-of-pics
I had some reslly good results today from the Razor600, if you have a look at my latest blog you will see the video, pretty poor quality, but only had my still cam with me,
So the lessons learned, do not use trim on the TX, i use quite a large P for stabilise around P2.5 and a very low number for Loiter. My setup is posted below.
I'll be able to build on this, will be testing as soon as the wind dies down. Good to know that it can cope with gusty winds, some of the plane guys at my club field (8ft wing span), had to go round 3 times it was that bad, so i am really happy with how the whole thing went.
Tuned the Loiter PID's today and had some really good results, so i'm off to the field to try and fly a way point mission.
We are taking video, so will post another blog when i get back.
Could not reproduce the same control as i had on a sunday, when the wind was blowing hard.
Helicopter would just do a slow circle that would increase.
I got home and tried to get Lat Lon logs but there is no data, is there some thing wrong with the latest code and logs?
I am off to the field again tomorrow to have another go.
Malcolm, dragola..my guess is that your I term was too big. Yes, there's something wrong with the dataflash erase in 2.6 and causes the logs to not appear. It only affects some people and we think it's actually caused by a dataflash chip issue (the "chip erase" feature doesn't work). It's just been fixed so it'll be good in 2.7. I'm not sure when that'll be released although we now have geofencing in trunk which makes the current code worthy of a release. -Randy
The main problem i'm having is the trim keeps changing, i set it up in flight and today there was no wind at all. it stays level for a few seconds then starts to lean, not by much but it does. i have removed all of the I and D from the stab settings so it should now come back to level.
Anyway i'm trying again tomorrow?
i'll report more.
my first guess would be you stab I term but you've removed that.
my second guess would be that vibrations are slowly working their way through dcm and causing a very minor case of "the leans". The best way to check would be to see your logs (which don't work! sorry!).
1 thing i did notice yesterday, the blades were very slightly out of track, not by much but i suppose that could have been causing a very slight vibration.
But if that is the case then i really dont know how i'm going to isolate the APM from gas engine noise!!
I think you are right Randy about the leans issue, i'm going to remount the board and make sure that all the wires are held properly, I'll track the blades so they are spot on and try again.
Was meant to flying this evening, but the weather (rain) reports are not good.
Had a few good flights today, found out that the battery tray was vibrating causing a leans issue, at one point bad enough for me to do a fast landing. After a lot of foam packing around the battery and a couple of cable ties i had a 2 really good flights.
The Alt_Hold needs re tuning and i'll make a sub frame for the battery tray. Happy now that i'm finally moving in the right direction.
Just checked the logs and just seems to be a lot of files 1025 with no data.
Great news! Looks pretty good. I managed to get my alt hold very accurate using a sonar..I think you're using an APM1 so the barometer's accuracy is going to be a limiting factor. The APM2's is better. It'll be interesting to find out if the loiter accuracy is a limitation of the control logic or the gps. There's that new ublox gps..i have one but actually haven't tried it yet but i hear good things.
Anyway, great video.