I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.
Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.
If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.
i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.
My motor doesn't stick out of the bottom plate at all, the problem is just more of the hole locations. I have the one-piece landing gear which have only 2 holes holding them on. One front, one rear, both dead-center on the frame cross-supports. See, you have the Pro, and the Pro 2. I guess I have a Pro 2.
In fact, I think the one piece gear wouldn't work at all.
Ideally I'd like to do something styled slightly better. But I'd need wider plate to do it. Basically, I'd prefer not to add so much height, but instead make it fatter, and put the APM to one side.
The plate would stick out both sides, put the APM on one, and Xbee on the other. Balance it out. I've got a lot of crap mounted on this thing!
But the main thing is styling. Make it fat on the bottom like an Apache, rather than a, I dunno. I know it shouldn't matter, but styling matters in this market.
There's me reinventing the wheel again. I wouldn't worry too much about what I want it to look like. ;)
Just getting ready to test my latest (and last) attempt at vibration damping on the 450. If this doesn't work...
But I discovered one of the swash servos seems to have failed. Intermittent connection where the wire goes into the case. Not sure if it's cause or effect of the last little biff I had with it 2 days ago. (just broke the tail blades, umbrella gear)
Luckily I have a spare, but I'm not sure why it happened. I actually have the servo wire strain relieved by gluing it on to the case. Maybe it was during handling while working on this vibe mount, pressing on the wire with my thumb I dunno.
I'm out testing the standard 2.7 code tomorrow, if all goes well and i have solved the vibes issue then on friday i will be testing your code Robert. I think i may have found the problem.
I had to go back to watch this video to realise the problem. I think i had the Loiter nailed on this flight, but i kept moving the tail which in turn reset the Loiter Hold Position. I am controlling the height manually which i had preset when i built the code.
I don't think that moving the yaw should reset the loiter position?
I remember asking Randy at the time and he said it did, but more to the point you can see how vibration free and stable it is. So this meant it had to be a mechanical problem, So armed with new flybarless blades, and a bunch of other new parts all fitted and balanced, i hope to get some decent results.
Nope, no good.
Another crash. I'm just about ready to give up on this. I can't keep crashing and rebuilding these things. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Gotta drain 3 packs. How? Put 'em in the quad. It always works.
Hey Rob, do you want to talk over skype? Why are you crashing, what is happening? I want to try and help...
Even with all the slight leans problems i'm having its never bad enough for a crash.
I have a 450 size machine here, its well balanced, wonder what postage is to canada?
The problem is it's way more than "slight leans". I'm soon as I lift off, I'm chasing it all over the sky.
When I first built this heli, it was sweet. Worked perfect. But it's been downhill ever since. A few minor bumps, but it was OK. Then a major crash while I was trying to get Loiter working. Hasn't flown right since, even though I've rebuilt it completely. I don't know if it's just vibing bad, (it really doesn't seem like it), or if if the new AHRS/IMU program from 2.7 is just behaving badly.
It's not that I can't fly, I flew 3 packs on the quad (actually flying, fast forward, high speed coordinated turns) immediately after. I feel like I just keep throwing parts at the helis trying to get them to work right. Maybe these servos are bad, I dunno, they're new too.
I've been thinking about just buying a flybarred 450 kit, put a gyro on it and some flybar weights and just have fun with it instead. Just concentrate on the multis for Arducopter. They are SO much easier.
The first thing i would do Robert is fly it without the APM, just check and see if it is a problem with the heli or code....
I suspect you know all this, but track the blades, Also find out where the cg is, make sure that they the same too. and lastly i would also check for a twist down the length of the blade.
What blades are you using?
The only reason i'm saying this is because i know you will have checked everything else i.e. main shafts etc.
I'm was thing of going to go back to 1.49.1 the one in the video above with the old gps and check to see if changes has made a difference to the leans etc...
If you want to borow my 450 then i can send it to you, it comes in its own case, MA Furion 450, SAB blades, savox serovs, Jive ESC, scorpion motor, Its even got a flybarless controller on it, Futaba Gyro and Receiver, etc flys like its on rails and fast, it'll keep you on your toes, i dont really fly it much as i'm concentrating on my larger machines. 23cc Gasser :D
Iv'e pre-programmed the ESC on governor mode just put you RX at 85%.
Well, I ca
I think your message may have got corrupted....
Yeah, I had to retype it, again. Stupid forum software.