I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.

Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.

i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.

Setup Instructions

Tags: helicopter, instructions

Views: 41886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Either way is fine, for the permanent record so it's not forgotten the issues list is better.  I only review the issues list every couple of days...i tend do check this thread every day although I've been falling behind a bit recently...

I was just going to have a look at that but I guess you beat me to it.  Good job.  I thought it might be something like that.  I know that the quads have those 20 degree constrains, but ours are 45, but I guess that factor got missed in the yaw control.

Was this something new that happened when all these PID changes happened, or it was always like that.

Yes, I saw you guys talking about it so I made the change.  As far as I can tell it's always been like that.  It's possible to go back to to see older versions by going to the code page and then setting the little tags drop down to an older version.

It wasnt like that before, i could get a full 45 degree throw, i would have noticed when i set it up on the bench. I check all the control throws before i fly.

@ randy there has been some talk about 2.4 being not good to fly, something i read on the 2.4 discussion about quads crashing. Correct me if i'm wrong.

One last thing, does the code support GPS with EGNOS or WAAS depending on where you are in the world?

Malcolm, 2.4 definitely has a minor bug that affects loiter tuning.  Nothing that will cause a crash, but it makes tuning difficult.

There has been a more serious bug found, though it probably existed for some time and is not new.  It's also pretty hard to get it to pop up.  Basically you need to pitch up past 90° and back, a few times...  it's really almost a bench-test only condition.  Although it was discovered because of the datalogs of a quad which had already lost control and was tumbling.

That's my understanding of it.

Some of these things, it's hard to say if they are new bugs, or just that so many more people are flying, or flying more, and harder, and that's turning up long-dormant issues.

Thanks for update Robert, again just for safety sakes i thought i should ask.

I'm going to try my hand at using one of the GIT GUI's no used it before. as i think 2.4.1 is a lot more stable.

I'm using TortoiseGIT, and prefer it.  I find it the easiest to use

I'm using that too now Robert. your right its easy to use.

I just read through the big string again.

The original cause of the crash was a single innocent looking serial print command after a mode change.  That caused a delay in the DCM code, which caused it to fail.  But, that should be recoverable if you have some time (=altitude), but that was not happening for some reason.  The reason was then tracked down to a pretty obscure sequence of events in the code.

I have to say that, it's pretty amazing to watch the head code guys in action.  I'm just watching from the cheap seats, but it's incredible.  Never in a million years would I figure out what these guys did in 24 hours.  

Anyway, that's all patched up in 2.4.1, which I hope will be available soon.

I now have GIT sorted out, and am using 2.4.1, this seems to have sorted out all my compass issues, its now pointing in the right direction according to google maps and a decent compass. 

Will fly tomorrow with the GY401 (the tail has always been rock solid with that) Although the APM is now moving the tail as expected. 

ALT_HOLD tuning again

Yeah, I'm bummed, pretty high winds here today.  Tomorrow should be nice.

Good luck, let's see your logs when you're done to see if we can sort out the problems (assuming you have some!).

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service