I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.

Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.

i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.

Setup Instructions

Tags: helicopter, instructions

Views: 42547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm still working on it, but I'm rebuilding the heli right now to get a camera on it.

Christoph,

There's better logging of the loiter controllers in the upcoming 2.6 release.  So if you go into the mission planner's terminal screen, then type "logs" then "PID" then you will enable PID logging.  If you then enable CH6 tuning of CH6_LOITER_RATE_P then during your next flight you'll get a many lines in the dataflash log (output at 10hz) that you can review later to see the individual P, I and D components of the loiter rate controller.  This loiter rate controller controls the amount the copter leans to get a desired speed so it's the most important thing to get right.

Randy, is it possible to get the Loiter PID exposed in the telemetry so we could do real-time tuning?  Most of our PID functions happen way too fast, but Loiter, and maybe Alt_Hold, probably are slow enough.

In fact, it would be AWESOME to have a new page added to MP where Alt_Hold and Loiter PID's are exposed in a live graphing window, along with the parameters so we could write them easily...

I think this might help a lot.  I know it would for me, as I'm used to tuning them real-time.

Robert,

We talked today about bringing the dataflash and tlogging together...it's not a small task but it'll happen at some point in the not-too-distant-future.

More than that though..is the mavlink part of the code is probably the last bit of it that I don't know.  So honestly, i just don't know how to do it!  :-).  It's a great idea though.  That would be pretty exceptionally cool to have your copter floating there and you tune it from the mission planner while it's in flight...

-Randy

Yes, as I said, it

There's another discussion here started by a guy called Wesley who is trying to get his APM2 to control his yaw without an external gyro.

Robert, I know you're pretty busy but could you help him out with a starting point for PIDs that you use?

Ok.

Right off the bat, I see he's talking about how the rudder returns to center when you start feeding an input.  I've seen and reported on this as well.  I've even had logs which show the rudder channel output is in fact being returned to center before it starts responding to the input.  I've looked at the code, and can't figure it out.

It seems to me like an I term is being reset, but I can't find it.

hi randy, i am able to hover align 450 with APM 2. yaw is not responding with default PID. can u suggest a rate yaw PID value to  start with . i am using external gyro with gain value as 1350. can u also suggets a gain value to start with.

Hey Ravi,

If you're using an external gyro and you've checked the "external gyro" check box, then the yaw rate PID controls aren't used so just focus on the Stabilize Yaw pid values.  If you're not seeing any yaw movement in the tail when you move your yaw stick I'd say your problem is one of the following:

1. you haven't checked the "eternal gyro" check box in the hardware set-up screen.

2. your stabilize yaw P value is too small.

3. your external gyro's gain is not correctly connected to the APM output channel 7.  Maybe you should try attaching a regular servo to the APM output channel that you've attached the gyro to to make sure that it's moving correctly as you change the gain?

The default gyro gain of 1350 works great for me so that would be my suggestion.

Hope this helps.  Great to have you checking stuff and raising issues.  It'll make it easier for the next person.

In the meantime what is the status of using it on the traditional heli? Is it mutual enough that I can rely on it to RTL and autoland? I am trying to determine if I should use APM on a quad or heli.

Personally I prefer heli, because I like to look and flying style of helicopters.

Honestly... RTL, maybe.  I haven't done it successfully, but some quads have.  Autoland, no, I don't think so.

I think multi-copters have been able to do RTL and autoland as I understand? What is the unique reason of heli that we are lacking behind? Just need more beta-testers? ^_^

I can't wait to dream that my heli and lift off, fly all the way points, come home then land, all without my control.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service