Wiring or Arduino UAV controler PCB based on inertial sensors, please suggestions!!!

Hi to all,

I can see you community are thinking in arduino for UAV controllers, i am designing some uav boards for a complex universitary project but development is too slow and i am thinking to build a wiring or arduino based PCB with all hardware integrated in a small board to start playing.

The board will have:
- ATmega128 (under wiring)
- inertial sensors for 6DOF (without any vertical board!!!)
- Absolute pressure (altitude)
- Diferential pressure (pitot-tube)
- Xbee Pro (100mw)
- optional 2 axis compass (HM55B)
- 8 x servo output
- 1 x GPS (uart) input for a external any nmea gps
- 1 x PPM input (4 servo input)
- battery voltage and probably 2 extra analog input.
- size - probably no more than 40 x 65 mm

I can study any suggestion, but it have to be esential.

IMU - this small board have a interesting conbination of inertial sensor to complete 6DOF in order to avoid vertical boards:

Acelerometer (X,Y,Z) - MMA7260Q (analog output) or LIS3LV02DQ (SPI output)
Gyros (X,Y) - IDG-300 (3 gyros in the same chip analog output)
Gyro (Z) - MLX90609 (analog and SPI output)

It is really compact solution,

in my other project i am acquiring analog sensors thought 16 bit ADC but in this project i would like to use AVR analog inputs.

i attach some PCB and schematic progress (very preview), please any suggestion will be welcomed.

Questions,

- I am using a 4017 CMOS to decode PPM signal from microcontroller and in this way only use a PWM output for all servos, it could be dificult to implement in wiring or arduino, is it? Wiring seems to have 8 PWM outputs, it could be better to remove 4017 and connect servos directly to AVR???

- Accelerometers conected by analog (MMA7260Q) or SPI (LIS3LV02DQ)?

I think it could be good design for non software-experts-uav-hobbyist like me, complete solution and all very very easy.
jlcortex

Views: 1130

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For those who aren't clear on the difference between Wiring and Arduino, they're both open source hardware using the same language and IDE, but Wiring is based on the ATMega128 chip, rather than Arduino's ATMega168. What the means is that although they have the same processing power, Wiring has more memory and I/O pins. Details here.
My understanding is that gyros will drift.
Do you need IR sensors to provide absolute horizon?
The combination of accelerometers (noisy in the short term, but doesn't drift) and gyros (accurate in the short term, but drifts over time) can suffice with the magic of Kalman filter math.
Hi Chris and bGatti:

Getting attitude from accelerometers and gyros are more dificult than get attitude form IR sensors, but it is not necesary to use Kalman, kalman is the most accurate solution but you can use very simple complementary filter or any other drift tracking without heavy stadistics math, it could be really simple, i have testing this in a matlab aplication connected to Flightgear and it seems to work ok.

Hi Luis,

I was searching for the DCM based Attitude Estimation for mobile applications,I found your post in one forum posted a long ago. Actually I am working on orientation Estimation using DCM, u have posted that u have tested it in Matlab, How Can we get the angles information directly from DCM without converting to Euler(as it has gimbal lock) if it is ok for you Can I have a look on your code plz.

regards

Navigator

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service