I want to share the work of somebody from another forum. I thought his solution to vibration problems in multi-rotors is pretty novel, a good implementation, and quite effective. It appears that not only does damping the motors protect the frame (and thus the flight controller) from vibrations, it actually reduces vibrations in each motor since a vibe in one motor does not upset all the other motors. You can see this from the sound produced.
Just to make it more clear what he's done, the blue part is rigidly attached to the arm. the motor is bolted to the upper mount black mount, which is connected to the lower black mount via a shaft in the middle. The lower black mount pushes upwards on the blue pieces via 4 rubber vibration dampers. I believe it was done this way because those dampers are intended for compression loading, not tension.
And the result:
This comes from this thread:
Robert: Interesting find. My Nemesis frame is designed similarly. I isolate vibrations at the motors and at the center at 24 separate points as well as at the APM which sits on gel. I end up with vibration free video and APM! :-D
They can also be made quite easily. I've even done it using automotive hose.
Have you guys noticed any problems with excessive movement of the motors? I guess the props need to be balanced or they'll shake themselves to bits?
I have not balanced my props since day one and I have put them in the dirt several times while tuning and done nothing more than wipe them off. The mounts that I designed are much more rigid than the ones in the image above and do not suffer from that problem.
Adam, Those are really nice and exactly what I've been looking for! Was sold until I saw the price. To equip just one of my octos - $288! I'll have to go for the homemade route.
I will not fly with out rubber mounts again... They make that much difference...
There is really nothing out there to buy so I made my own..
This way has the least amount of parts and is Very effective even with parts of the prop missing..
I first CNC cut a few moldes, poured in some low Derometer Silicone rubber... Then CNC some aluminum brackets
thats it.. I may sell them one day if there is enough interest... I have two versions... 200watt and 700watt motor size..