Hi all,

I just bought an FrSky Taranis for my quad copter and needed to get the Mavlink data up on the Taranis LCD telemetry display. So here is my solution using a Teensy3.1 as a converter between MavLink and the S.Port on FrSky X8R.

See attached file below...

Views: 281406

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay so if I recall it was aimed north when it was armed and heading south probably west / south-west by 2000-4000 feet or so when I looked down and noticed the arrow outside the box. As I recall the bearing / the direction the arrow was pointing generally seemed correct when I could see it inside the box. I probably still have the log if that  would help. I'll look at see... 
Paul Atherton said:

Richard, the arrow inside the radar box has nothing to do with speed. It is purely based on the change of lat/long (position coordinates from GPS) and change in bearing (Hdg) after the craft is armed compared to before.

Richard Kennedy said:

Well... as a matter of fact I did note that going with a stiff breeze I was going 60 mph with my quad. That's probably a bit faster than normal however not exceptionally unusual for a plane. Thanks for looking into it.  

I think this is the log. The time is says doesn't make sense so I'm not %100 sure. I sure don't see anything on here that looks even remotely close to 60 mph??? I swear that's what it said on my Taranis... perhaps it's a related issue.. I thought that seemed faster than what I was seeing. 

Attachments:

The log shows a top speed of 18.343 m/s which is just over 40mph. Would suggest comparing what you see on the Taranis with Mission Planner to see if there is a discrepancy. Remember that Mission planner likely shows speed in km/h, so when doing the comparison, select the same for speed units in the LUA telemetry screen. Also remember that you need to keep the sensor configuration for Gspd set to 'kts' in the model's telemetry sensors page - this is the default scale that is assigned by OpenTx, and any other value set for this will cause it to scale incorrectly. Again, all detailed in the wiki here: https://github.com/athertop/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki/1.2.-FrSky-Tara...

Cheers, Paul

Hi paul

Thanks for the spread sheet I think htis will be very helpful with creating a lua script to use pass-though data

Just have to work out how to extract the relevant bytes in lua ?

I have modified the  existing lua (cant remember which fork )  to work with direct output from pixhawk / pixrapter, just change sensor names to Tmp1,Tmp2

no HDOP data available,or messages, but radar ,volts, current, speed,gps stats, seems to be ok.

Thanks again for the help

Tim

Paul Atherton said:

Tim,

I have attached a spreadsheet containing details of the telemetry sensors and values contained in each, which are produced by using the passthru protocol you refer to. Thanks to Luis Vale for providing these to me and allowing me to share here. Hopefully this will be of help in writing LUA script etc.

Best wishes, Paul

Tim Painter said:

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply .

I have  been "out of the loop "  for some time how quickly things change.

I am using a inverter to get data directly from pixhawk into Sport.

the main reason for doing this was to save £20 on a teensy but the cost of craft and theory lua would cancel this out

arducopter 3.4  also seems to directly output "repurposed " telemetry.

I think this would be easier to use with a lua script with a few tweeks.

Thanks again for the information

Tim

well i seem to have fallen at the first hurdle fith this passthrough stuff.

in the discover sensors i find 5001  and a flight mode number as the value

in lua getValue ("5001")  returns 0 .

if i select 5001 in telemetry screen this displays flight mode  ok

Tx ver 2.1.9

Any ideas?  anyone?

Tim Painter said:

Hi paul

Thanks for the spread sheet I think  this will be very helpful with creating a lua script to use pass-though data

Just have to work out how to extract the relevant bytes in lua ?

I have modified the  existing lua (cant remember which fork )  to work with direct output from pixhawk / pixrapter, just change sensor names to Tmp1,Tmp2

no HDOP data available,or messages, but radar ,volts, current, speed,gps stats, seems to be ok.

Thanks again for the help

Tim

Paul Atherton said:

Tim,

I have attached a spreadsheet containing details of the telemetry sensors and values contained in each, which are produced by using the passthru protocol you refer to. Thanks to Luis Vale for providing these to me and allowing me to share here. Hopefully this will be of help in writing LUA script etc.

Best wishes, Paul

Tim Painter said:

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply .

I have  been "out of the loop "  for some time how quickly things change.

I am using a inverter to get data directly from pixhawk into Sport.

the main reason for doing this was to save £20 on a teensy but the cost of craft and theory lua would cancel this out

arducopter 3.4  also seems to directly output "repurposed " telemetry.

I think this would be easier to use with a lua script with a few tweeks.

Thanks again for the information

Tim

Opentx 2.2 only Tim. Just newly introduced in one of the rc releases.

ok thanks

Paul Atherton said:

Opentx 2.2 only Tim. Just newly introduced in one of the rc releases.

Hi

just updated X9D   to 2.2 but got message warning about sd card not v2.2, and extra sensors were not detected?

Hmmmm     I think i will stick to 2.1.9  and teensy solution , all a bit beyond my experience to solve this lot.

Tim

Tim,

There is a brand new SD card structure for 2.2. If you look on the 2.2-rc12 download page, you will see a link also to the SD card download. I believe that the passthru sensors are hidden from the telemetry page. You need to write the LUA code to access the sensor addresses directly. o be honest, I wouldn't take my word on this as its not something I have looked into much. 

I will not be looking into the passthru protocol for a while as the Teensy solution works really well - even with 2.2, so I'll be sticking with that given I have a bunch of them (I think 5 of them now). 

If you do get anywhere though then please let us know in here. Cheers, Paul

Tim Painter said:

Hi

just updated X9D   to 2.2 but got message warning about sd card not v2.2, and extra sensors were not detected?

Hmmmm     I think i will stick to 2.1.9  and teensy solution , all a bit beyond my experience to solve this lot.

Tim

I will double check everything and do another flight to see if I can recreate the 'missing pointer' and post back here... thanks again.

RK

Paul Atherton said:

The log shows a top speed of 18.343 m/s which is just over 40mph. Would suggest comparing what you see on the Taranis with Mission Planner to see if there is a discrepancy. Remember that Mission planner likely shows speed in km/h, so when doing the comparison, select the same for speed units in the LUA telemetry screen. Also remember that you need to keep the sensor configuration for Gspd set to 'kts' in the model's telemetry sensors page - this is the default scale that is assigned by OpenTx, and any other value set for this will cause it to scale incorrectly. Again, all detailed in the wiki here: https://github.com/athertop/MavLink_FrSkySPort/wiki/1.2.-FrSky-Tara...

Cheers, Paul

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service