First of all I want to apologize if any of my terminology is off or if I ask obvious questions, I'm only a beginner at this and am just trying to learn as much as possible on the hobby!
I am planning on building my own ground station. One of my main goals is to have the longest connection range with my drone possible. I have been looking at the different types of antennas that I could possibly use and have concluded that most people are using patch, yagi, or grid antennas.
Now for my questions...
1. What type of antennas have you found to work best for your long range journeys, and why?
2. What model antenna was it and have you experienced any problems with it?
3. Are there any other important components that you would recommend for my ground station in order to increase my range of communication with my drone?
Any information would be greatly appreciated, even if it is not that relevant to the topic! I'm just trying to expand my knowledge!
Thank you in advance!
What type of data link do you want to set up? Just Mavlink telemetry or also video and/or RC?
You need to provide us with more information on your setup.
Are you doing FPV?
Or do you need long range telemetry?
Ideally, if you want to go long range, you will need a patch antenna, or some sort of high gain directional antenna on your ground station.
In addition, if your plane is going to be flying behind the antenna, you should look into installing a tracker antenna as well. A tracker antenna will keep the ground station antenna pointed at the aircraft at all times.
I've been using the ImmersionRC EZ Tracker Antenna and it works great, its plug and play, however, you will need to do some ground calibration before each flight.
Check out the antennas from Aerial Video System, http://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html?cat=49&manufacturer=139 that's what I've been using, along with many other FPV fliers.
You can search 'Sinopine' on google, maybe you could find a suitable antenna, its products has many pros.
1. Super small and lightweight
2. Good quality image with zero latency
3. 40 channels with raceband
4. Button control instead of switches to change channels
5. Easy to install,plug and play