Antenna Tracking with HKGCS and 360 degree pan servo?

Hi Guys,I have my antenna tracking set up with the Maestro board and have had no problem getting HKGCS to connect. The tilt servo works fine but I can't figure out how to stop the pan servo from rotating. It's a Hitec digital modified by Servo City for 360 degree rotation. Unfortunately, I can't set endpoints since it's a 360 degree servo and it rotates constantly. Anyone set up a servo like this for pan? Do I need to go back to a 180 degree servo?Thanks for your help!Jimmy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

I haven't really played with antenna tracker, but i'm very much interested in it.  So whilst we're on the subject, have people see the Dakar/Lynx DIY gear?

http://www.ianjohnston.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&amp...

I like the idea of DIY, but conscious of the date, would there be a better place to start?

• output >1200 for movement, send <1000 for opposite movement, and dead center (had to find mine via experimentation)  for no movement... think of it as a non referenced stepper motor.

but for best performance like others have said, add an external pot but geared with ratios to match your needed movements.

I had the same issues with controling the 360 moded servo. I ended up using two servos.

one servo: with working motor, pot removed, and 360 mod. motor leads are fed externaly to the board from the first servo; and a small gear.

another servo: with no motor, but with the pot wired to the external board from the first servo; and a large gear.

The gears were just spools and belt from an old cd rom., it took awhile to get the right tension on the belt. not too tight but not too loose.

This worked very well, till i fried the little board from servo one. (didnt get one wire soldered quite right, and came loose and touched one of the components on it... well zap, that ones done.

edit: those pcb boards in the servos are really small and challanging to solder... lol  :)

• Admin
    @Jimmy,
    You cannot use a constant rotation servo in this case. You need a servo that can turn 360 degrees right or left, but no further. 3DR used to sell a Grand Wing 360 degree rotation servo and I have one. You might check out Grand Wing on-line.
    Just a thought.
    Regards,
    TCIII
  • Can you post a link to the servo you're using?

This reply was deleted.

Activity