Has anyone successfully used the APM2.5 (or other APM) with the cheaper NEO-6M ublox gps ?

Did you need any modifications to the source code ?

Thx !

Views: 69745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That will be great, Thanks

Something important to know, I blew my regulator with magnetometer that come with the gps unit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4qu_Ib178k

Hi everyone! I'm joining this post because I'm also using a cheap GPS, although a different model. I bought this NEO-6M based GPS module with compass but was not able to get it fixing yet.

http://dx.com/en/p/zndiy-bry-apm-2-6-flight-controller-ublox-neo-6m...

With an FTDI adapter I could upload the configuration file attached using the u-center 8.10 (and saved the config before disconnecting USB). In the u-center the GPS module is recognized and a few satellites can found (2 or 3) but not enough for fixing because I'm inside.

Connecting it to the APM (only the GPS, not the compass yet), I can see that it is acknowledged by the APM, the blue led is flashing but still got no fix even after 1 hour pointing antenna to the sky through the window (I will try outside tomorrow).

In the Missing Planner flight data, tab "Status", I have gpsstatus  = 1, gpshdop = 99,9 and satcount = 0. The most intriguing, though, is the response from the CLI gps test (attached image, I could not find how to copy text from the CLI window).

It's only returning garbage, with the string "179.7550372SITION25.5394058" somewhere in the middle.

Any clue on what is wrong?

Attachments:

After around 3h with direct view to a clear sky I got the GPS 3D Fix. Now it takes only a few seconds to fix GPS. I thought it should take only 10 to 15 min for the first time but I was wrong, I found a few reports of first fix taking several hours.

Nevertheless... I still cannot see the test working in the CLI, I'm still getting a garbled message as shown in the image attached to my last post. Any clue?

Thanks!

I made the GPS work connected to the laptop with u-center 8.10 and the default configuration but not with the config file recommended. In the u-center screens I can get 3D fix and at least 5 or 6 satellites (inside my appartment, just pointing the antenna to the window) but with the config file for CN06, the u-center doesn't show any information but the 3D fix confirmation.

Tomorrow I'll load it back to the quad and see what happens.

>but with the config file for CN06, the u-center doesn't show any information but the 3D fix confirmation.

Thats fine. Just click debug messages and you´ll see more informations ;-)

That's it! Excellent! Thanks a lot, gervais! I think now it is working fine, I can get 2D/3D fix in seconds inside home, just pointing to the window. Time to test on the field.

Struggling to follow you guys but I think you're saying the config file only sends the absolutely needed data (I knew that but am curious if that's what you're saying). 

I haven't messed with mine in eons - need to finish configuring the darn thing!  Need to connect power to the flight controller and config the Tx.

I've just bought a $26 compass + NEO-6 unit from goodluckbuy, and - indoors - it seems to be reasonable accurate. Got sat lock in around 2-3 minutes from cold, and fluctuated between 8 and 10 sats 8 (which is the same for the LEA-6). Left it running in Mission planner for over an hour, and it was ok - didn't move about any more than the standard 3DR LEA-6.

Also comes in a handy case with tidy cabling, and slightly longer than the standard as well, which is handy.

I'm still not sure why NEO is so bad? Seems ok here...Are there any "gotchas" I should be wary of? I'm running arducopter 3.1.2 in quad mode.

I bought one of those as well and it was delivered with default settings (NMEA, 9600baud).

So i had to configure it to use UBX protocol and set the baudrate to 38400.

Regards,

Linus

How do you do that?

@Euan,

Take a look at this Wiki section: uBlox It is a little dated, but should give you an idea of what is involved. 

Regards,

TCIII Admin

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service