So, I've got this slightly used and abused APM1.4 that I want to try putting on an airplane because it won't fly a helicopter anymore. And I've got a 10 year old 80" Hangar 9 Cub ARF that I haven't flown in 6 years, and I'm not particularly attached to, so I figure it would be a great candidate? It's got a Saito 56 4-stroke nitro engine that has always been reliable and efficient. I don't think it's ever flamed out once after adding an on-board glow driver. This is a balsa, ply and Monocote model, not foam.
I read through the Wiki, but have a few questions:
1. To mount the APM, do I need to worry about vibrations from the motor? This is a problem with my helis, and I'm not sure if I need to worry with the airplane. The Saito does vibrate a fair amount given it's a 4-stroke. What would be the best way to mount it?
2. Since the fuselage is balsa and ply covered in monocote, can I just stick ALL the electronics right in the fuse, antennas and all? Right now it has a 72MHz receiver with the antenna inside, never been a problem.
3. Currently the model has a 4.8V NiCad 800mAh battery pack. Can I power everything with this, or should I definitely go ahead and retrofit with a 2S 2200mAh Lipo and BEC? I'm pretty sure using that NiCad is high up on the "bad idea" list, but just thought I'd check.
4. Ultimately if this worked out, I'd try to put a larger Aux fuel tank under the CG for longer range. With the huge wing, the airplane has plenty of lift, but I wonder about the power. It's well over-powered for a scale Cub in it's current configuration, but can't pull vertical (loops are no problem). I have no idea about how much weight it could actually take up. I'd plan on using some camera gear, etc, as well.
5. Is there any Glo Driver function in the AP software yet? Currently I have a mechanical setup with a microswitch that comes on at low throttle. I'm not sure if there's any point replacing it, but just thought I'd ask.
me and James been asking, but any chance you could put some photos of step by step of your setup, maybe even a video?
I'm sorry I'm much too busy to be able to put something like that together for you. I'll see if I can get some pictures showing the setup, but it really doesn't provide much detail. I actually already removed the APM to use in another craft at the moment, making matters more difficult.
Really, it's just a basic airplane setup. I didn't do much differently other than I used soft mounts.