Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area. Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.
The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers. Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!
As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion. For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list. Note: you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item. On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.
what about a foam base glued on the support plate with 3 or 4 pieces of velcro on top and gluing the other velcro parts underneath the board and attach it to the foam base ? I believe that would remove a great deal of vibration.
For this reason i've only APM1 on my quads.
APM2 uses sensors much more accurate but also very sensitive, and I think that still needs to be improved the filter that discriminates wrong vibrations.
I do not think is a good idea to hook the APM2 with the o-ring, in time you know that gum glazes and easily broken, an o-ring falls off in flight I think is a bad experience.
I have to ask Chris to send me a APM2 to make comparative tests.
Yes, you need to avoid decoupling the board from the airframe in the frequency which the airframe can respond at, or else you get control oscillation. I think APM controls come out at 50hz, and the DCM is running at 200hz. So, the sweet spot is to have a mount which is coupled above 50hz, but decoupled between below 50hz.
I had my APM mounted on mounts with a natural frequency around 20hz, and it wasn't working. I couldn't even take off because the control oscillation was so great.
I think there's an easier way to make anti-vibe motor mounts. Use the style similar to what I've made, ring mounts. They are designed to be used in tension, so you don't need an elaborate system. Just got get some automotive oil hose, maybe 3/8" ID. Cut it into rings. Drill two holes and push M3 buttonhead screws through. Then stick one mount between each leg of your motor mount and the motor. So you'll need 16 for a quad. Done.
So you insulating the motors from the mounts? Won't the vibration be transferred through the screws anyway?
Edit: Sorry didn't understand initially, so two connection points per motor, one between motor and rubber ring, the other between mount and ring, motor totally insulated?
I have a serious problem since upgrading my 3DR Quad to 2.4 and switched to new remote (Graupner MX-20). When I wanted to give it a try earlier today it just flipped. Back home I checked all settings, made sure its in X-Mode, remote inputs, etc. All settings seem good.
When doing the hand test it works against something, but not really the right direction. When I push Pitch or Roll on my remote in any direction it feels like only Front-Left and Back-Right spin faster, but only those two, no matter what.
I already downgraded to 2.3, switched back to my DX6i Transmitter. Still not working. Upgraded to 2.4 again, did a Reset from CLI, did the motor test. Test is ok (right order/direction). But still acting wrong. Since I didn't change anything in the wiring I'm totally clueless.
Any idea welcome!
Hi Thomas, are you sure the motors test is ok? Like my example video in the wiki?
Check the reverse in your radio, and when you try in your hands the stick input remember to set the mode in ACRO!
Jup just the same:
I have Roll & Yaw reversed in my remote so moving the sticks right gives high value. Better reverse it in MP? But I think the settings of the remote shouldn't matter when sticks centered and tilting the quad by hand anyways.
Why ACRO? Tested in STABILIZE before and when pushing pitch forward quad wanted to pitch forward.
Why? Try to arm the quad in one direction, then rotate to another and go up with the throttle...
The Acro ignores the compass, the Stabilize not.
From the video it is not clear, but you may have to place the propellers in the right direction (CW and CCW)?
Ehm, i see video again in slow motion but you are too fast with your cam... for me you have wrong motors rotation... :-)
I see the bottom left motor in CW direction, and the top right in CCW... possible?
I structured the code of the motors test so that there is a break ... we do a complete movie and longer? :-)
Follow my video:
The wiki is updated:
Props spin in the right direction, not good to see in the video. Also I first changed props after three of them broke (with the same kind, one by one), when it flipped on start today. Before it was flying just fine, the only thing I've changed since flying good is TX/RX and firmware nothing on the hardware/props, etc.
This again reminds me of something important: only change one thing at a time, makes bug tracking way easier....
Ok, think I found it. The Pitch setup was wrong in MP when calibrating the new TX and after swapping back also on the old one. Didn't read this line proper enough:
CH 2: Pitch Forward = low PWM – Pitch Back = High PWM
Confused me that it is inverted to the Throttle channel.
Thanks for the help.
Will try it again tomorrow, hope the weather will be ok. Today was great :(