Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 64903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ihab,

Is this with the APM1 1280?

My FPV flights from Arducopter, V2.3! >Here

While not strictly FPV in that video I did two batteries on the next two flights with FPV goggles. Love it!

Hi Jean Louis,

How can I get your v. 2.4.1 xp2 ?

Thanks

Regards

That fly away of yours WAS weird, looking at the log it seems everything just locked up!

Everything was fine until line 5800, then all roll & pitch values go to the same value and stay there until the crash.

On another note my APM1 "leans" TOO, the 'sudden-death' lean!

HOWEVER, after it has done it around 5-8 times it does NOT do it again for the rest of the battery/flight, which can be fast and active or just hovering (5000mAh 3S batt). To reset the "lean", land for a few seconds and take off and it's gone. After a few seconds of hovering it suddenly returns but after doing the "land & takeoff" a few times it doesn't do it again!

If the quad sits for a few minutes (while we were chatting) then it will do it again a few times and thereafter fly perfectly for the rest of the flight.

Someone explain THAT to me...?

Ihab,

I'd be very very surprised if the "not healthy" issue went away if you went back to a previous version of the code.   That is a hardware issue.

If you're saying the 50~90 degree offset issue goes away on it's own then it's most likely the mag offsets.  Try arming the engines (take props off), give it a bit of power and wave it around...then after 2 minutes put it back on the ground and disarm engines and wait for a bit.  That should save the mag offsets to the eeprom.  Then try restarting and see if the 50~90 degree issue has been solved.  By the way - in the next version you'll be able to see/set the mag offsets from the planner so we will have more visibility on these mag offset issues.

Johann,

You're using an APM1 right?  This is very likely an issue with the ppm encoder.  The stock ppm encoder that comes with the APM1 has a weakness when the voltage drops too low.  It can lock up just like you have above.  If you have an AVR programmer you can update the ppm encoder to the latest version which has this issue fixed by following the instructions here.

Normally quad users don't see this issue but heli users often do because of the extra strain that the servos put on power supply meaning that voltage drops tend to be much more common on helis.

Hi JL, thanks for the info.

Is it possible to get my hands on the latest version please, I have 8 full batteries and glorious sunshine.

If not, this stab_D limitation - was this your problem? Was this why your quad crashed? What is the problem exactly, what should I do to my params in order not to replicate it? Reduce stad_d to Zero, and use rate_d tuning?

Many thanks

Ok, a daft guess for you, but its happenened to me so you never know. The oilpan hasn't slipped up on the pins has it - i wonder if crashing it into the ground a few times is reseating the pins and levelling the board again, but because its not all the way down it comes off centre again while you are transporting etc. Daft, but it happened to me twice and a bit of foam tape has sorted it.

Should all us APM1 /1.4 users be doing this?

Yes, I'm finding Alt-hold much more bouncy too, especially in wind, with the same settings as before (2.3). Need to get this sorted though cause its making Loiter tuning more difficult too. I'll do a bit of alt_hold tuning this afternoon and see if i can offer any advice.

Hi Dave, just checked again, no everything is firmly attached. Also it been a re-occurring thing, as it's how I've been resetting after a "lean" incident and flying again.

BUT...

Having seen Johann's method of mounting his APM1 (humble velcro!) I stripped off two of the three layers of foam & rubber that was holding my APM1 and mounted it on two pieces of velcro (Hobbyking special), just did a test flight and the "lean" did not occur in the flight! Will have a few more flights to test but if it's gone I'll be very happy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service