Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 64673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry but whats a JNLxp2 version?

Hello again Jean-Louis. Thanks for the video, and the params, very different to where i ended up with this  frame, and my loiter way not as good as yours that's for sure.

I cant test loiter now as Im at home, but i did upload your params. I have to say i found the settings to be very slack indeed (mainly the rate_P - 0.045 is much lower than i usually go.

Do you use this setting just to test loiter, can you fly well in stab with rate_p so low?

PS is 2.4 xp2 on git yet? It might inspire me to get my head round using GIT.

Have you tried JLN's params he displays in the video?  I've not tried loiter as I'm at home, but his rate settings make my stab mode very sloppy. Tolerable if my intention is to spend most of the flight in loiter and or nav, which is often the case, I'm just curious if we are going to need two sets of params, one for flying about, and one for loitering and nav. I hope not.

What are you current 'best' params for loiter? What's it like to fly stab with these settings?

I'm using throttle_p and alt_hold params to see if i can get back to the lovely baro only alt_hold i had with 2.3.  The best setting i had for 2.3 (1m up and down tops) with 2.4 cause the quad to drift about 3m up and down, and the error from centre increases till I've bounced off the ground or got too high and have to stop. I do have different foam over the baro though I've just remembered I swapped it while fiddling the other day, I'll try the old foam too.

Jean-Louis Naudin version! XP2

It contains the fixes for some of the bugs discovered in 2.4, I'm getting my head around GIT at the moment, whilst trying to cook a roast for 10 people... if its posted there I'll let you know.

Version 2.4.1 is still part of v2.4.

Very little has changed, just bug fixes. So what we are talking about should apply to both versions, and JLN's.

ok, yes I see all these branch off versions such as 2.4.1 and same as we had for weeks on 2.3 for undated and tweaks etc. I really was hoping to just stick to one release at a time, but each new release seems to have lots of issues until just at the time it gets upgraded to the next release and then we start all over again. I was also thinking to start using the GIT for these updates as well.. its just adding to the work to read all the problems, issues and adjustments need to just get the rig to fly..

so if I just load 2.4 from the MP it includes the fixes in 2.4.1?

I've only just noticed that the wiki's been updated with some more explanation of the tuning parameters, thanks Jason and Graham, just in case anyone else has missed it.

Hi John, the latest MP v1.1.42 should load v2.4.1 as default.

Is it realistic to expect APMx to ever get to this level? Or is that just a pipe-dream?

THIS is what I was expecting from APM2 so understandably I've been a little disappointed:

Tested 2.4 heavily today - everything looks good except for an occassional yaw - my guess is it's sensors glitching. I also have to let it sit for a while or it will start yawing randomly (read about this in here - known problem I guess).

Very stable, very happy.

BUT loiter is absolutely worthless - it does nothing for a while and then overshoots wildly, no matter how I tune it - I can only delay the madness but it will still ramp up at an insane rate and fly away...

Graham: Right now APM 2 is just using the APM 1 code, and we haven't even begun to optimize it for the new board. The power of the MPU-6000 in APM 2 won't be unlocked until the ArduCopter 3.x software, which will come out this summer. But even with the current code, we're getting great performance with APM 2 quads that are well damped and tuned. What the dev team is now focused on is making it easier for everyone to get the same performance.

Reply to Discussion

DIY Drones Monthly

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2016   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service