Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Tags: ACM, Heli, Quad, Traditional

Views: 61901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't flown much since 2.1.   Anyone have any suggestions as to which firmware release would be the most reliable at the moment?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as well as save me a lot of time testing earlier releases.   I just finished some new builds that I am itching to try out.   Also,  does the current MP support older AC firmware releases?   Again, I am using APM1 2560.  

@Marco, thanks!  Steering clear of 2.4 for the moment :o

I try now to make a bit of clarity: the latest version reliable for me is 2.0.49, although plagued by the enormous problem of i2c bus lockup, if you lack a compass in flight the crash is assured, but if you are sure that the four contacts of the compass are welded very well you can fly with this one.
In all subsequent versions have been fixed many bugs (old and introduced with the update), including the fact that lockup the bus, then I think we must wait for the upcoming dcm fix by Tridge, which will start showing up, then you will test and if we reach the expected results I think this latest release is much more reliable than any previous one.

The planner supports all versions earlier than within it.

In conclusion (and I have repeated several times): it is better to not fly for hours and wait for the incoming next release.

-= Marco =-
(AC Dev Team)

I would agree on that, 2.0.49 worked great for me (even loiter!), but had also one bug that made my copter crash ( an auto WP fly-by, that made the copter run fast into some bushes ...) After that each release has been plagued with problems that has made me basically grounded since before christmas. I was thinking about trying this latest release, but then there is this new abrupt DCM bug that lurks in there and might bite you....I guess it all boils down to the courage, but I now have so much stash on my copter that I would rather not have it crash due to a known bug .....so there we have it.As we have said so many times, hopefully the next release will have fixed this bug, and we have something stable. The problem that we experience continously though is that in the meantime "features" are also introduced, which often add new bugs, so we seem to never really get there .....

Then again isnt it so that this DCM bug only appears in border situations, that is when large roll/pitch input is applied, so that if you try some controlled soft flying 2.4.1  should work ok ......the weather here is so nice now that it is very tempting to have a go......ahhh 

There's new dcm patch from Tridge, but not in the main repository, only for dev team tester, if it outperforms all the tests successfully will be available soon for everyone.
Stay tuned...

I'm in the same boat, I want to fly...

Im with on this to Geir,  after weeks of fiddling and tweeks we finally get the latest version working to a reasonable standard and then the version changes with all the fixes added , but then also all the new addons that then introduce a whole now batch of bugs.  For the well seasoned RC flyers these are probably not to much of an issue, but for people like myself who are just leaning to get the rig to stay in the air it makes it really difficult nervous. We just want it to fly so we can learn how to control it, but its difficult if we don't know whether the strange behaviors are pilot error or firmware issues. 

Im not complaining and whole heatedly appreciate all the effort that goes into the development. Perhaps the Mission Planner could have two versions to access from there?, one that is the previous  version that had all the bug fixes, but without the new addodns and a second version with all the bug fixes and with all the new addons. The latter being the beta version.

Hello to All,

***** VERY GOOD NEWS !!!! *****

I have just done the FIRST TEST FLIGHT (7 minutes of hoovering) in STABILIZE mode with the latest fix from Tridge which correct the drift of the DCM:

THERE IS NO DRIFT !!! WOOWW... MY DEEP CONGRATULATIONS TO ANDREW TRIDGELL.

The flight of the quadcopter in STABILIZE Mode is like a rock in air, and with the latest fix from Jason (a 490 Hz PWM) the flight is a real delight...

Here, the screen of logged datas with ATTITUDE_FAST enabled of the full flight.

The new ArduCopter c2.x.x will be vey soon released for all of you, stay tuned on the official GIT repository.

Good work to Tridge and to the AC dev Team,

Jean-Louis

(AC Dev Team)

APM 2 correct? 

Looking forward to flying this!

I am using an APM 2 but it will work on the APM 1 too...

Great!

So does this version use the software filtering of the accel and gyros in order to reduce the effect vibration has on the sensors?  I believe that's what I read in the GIT, but I am not entirely sure.

Thanks JL for your first "cavia" test... :P
Excellent results, but it is too early to declare victory.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service