Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 63383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, found the problem, in ArduCopter.pde, line #1807:

If you replace with:

the problem is gone, but we are waiting for official confirmation and the changes from the dev team, because the dcm in "fast" is important.

Hola Marcos,

I been turning my copter for about half an hour in all directions without been able to reproduce the problem you mention.

Does it happend at some special rate?

No Pablo, only in front direction, nose up (over 90°, i suggest 180) and again down, repeat the step.
We have reproduced the bug in two more times, is not something casual, others await confirmation.

Got it!!

It seems to happend only without gps fix!

Nice info, thanks, is possible... anyway try again with the gps fix.

Attached logs.

Nice... the problem has already been reported on the dev list.
I suggest not flying yet.
Thanks for you test!

Marco, my APM1 did this on 2.3 as well... just saying, this isn't new to 2.4 or 2.4.1, this issue has been around for some time now...

Yes, it has been confirmed this existed for quite some time.

Feedback: on my hexa setup, X configuration., MP versoin of 2.4, no GPS fix, rotating nose up, 180degrees, several times like Marco's video and cannot reproduce gray screen. Same result with a 3D Fix.

Actually I did a lot of position hold tuning today (the arducopter is a component of a work experiment :) ) and it flew fine outdoors. Only observation I found is with 4S Lipos, gains are much more sensitive and less forgiving. Today was the 1st time I ran a 3S battery and flight was noticeably better.

The problem has been present for months, is that no one had ever noticed.
It was also replicate by Tridge, a guru of ArduCopter, so no escaping, there's all.
Of course, the risk is "minimal", it would be like bungee jumping with under the cement or a deep lake, I would jump more comfortable with under the lake.
And whatever it must be resolved.

I repeat, you fly at your own risk, at the moment  do not fly for sure.

Hello Marco,

Thanks for your fix, I confirms this fact, during an agressive manoeuver done yesterday, my quad has done a crazy full pitch down forward at full throttle towards the ground without explanation... One leg broken  :-(

This occur WITH the GPS locked.

I shall soon test the DCM fix.

Another important point, If you do some flights in windy conditions, then in another day, if you do new flight. It is VERY IMPORTANT to do a stable flight in MANUAL (Stabilize) at the same altitude during few seconds, so as the avg_throttle is stored as the new THROTTLE_CRUISE.

If you don't do this, when you switch to LOITER, the quad use the old THROTTLE_CRUISE which was lower (due to the high wind) than the current (no wind) and this create a high risk that your quad goes downward very quickly... I have be surprised by this during my last flight.

DIY Drones Monthly

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Pylon Race, is here

© 2015   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service