Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 63386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul I have the exact same you mind going into CLI and going into test>compass...see if tells you "not healthy"

just tried ans i get like a normal read out, loads of numbers, but 50 degrees off north.

but does this reading keep moving? so on the flight data tab it would start at north then it would constantly move...

Is this with the APM1 1280?

just tried to enter 1.45 in the declination and it stays the same so no matter what i have in the declination field the direction stays 50 degrees off course at 310 deg.

So Paul, so just to clarify a bit, you're saying that your compass direction is always off by 50 degrees or that it's always frozen at a certain heading.

If the issue is that it's always off by 50 degrees...can I ask where are you entering the declination?  Not sure if you've heard but you should enter it through the hardware screen of the APMissionPlanner (or the CLI) because it accepts degrees.  If you enter it directly on the configuration tab of the APMissionPlanner then the you need to enter it in radians (when you use the configuration screen you're directly accessing the variables..internally APM uses radians so that's why we store it that way).

If you're always getting the same direction coming out of the compass when testing it through the CLI then it means that either the compass is broken internally or that you've got some piece of metal close to it that's really messing up it's readings.  Is it possible to test the compass heading again after first separating the compass from your APM or after pulling the the whole APM from the quad?

During this test if the compass values are still bogus then I suspect you need a new one (sorry!).  On the other hand if they're good then you know it's some piece of metal on the frame that's throwing things off so you can find + remove it!

Good point on the radians vs declination!

Should the params that are in the right hand configuration or setup windows therefore be removed from the left hand pane to remove confusion, especially if there is a conversion factor involved?

Hi Randy.

I enter the declination from the ap mission planner> configeration > setup> hardware, the compass is working from what i can see but my dec is 1.9 east, with my quad pointing north it reads 310 degrees on the mission planner home screen, so to try somethiing i entered 1.45 and i still get a 50 degree offset.

with virsion 2.3.0 it all worked great there have been no hardware changes only software,

when i power up and have the 50 degree offset and then rotate the quad the direction changes like i would expect, so seems fine, also in the CLI > tests > compass i get a load of numbers that change with the direction of the quad,

any other ideas?

Same issue here with the latest GIT version.
I've already reported on the development team.

Cool...thanks Marco...Now that I got some good night sleep I was able to make more accurate observations: the compass reading always starts at N and moves -50 degrees and then stops at 310 degrees. If you arm the copter in the meantime, the copter will constantly yaw clockwise at the same speed we see in the MP Flight Data display. My solution was just to wait a minute or so until the compass stablizes and they fly...yaw problem gone  and it holds heading really well.

Other than is absolutely amazing in stablize...still didn't touch any parameters but my frame flies so well I'm actually able to do nose in hovers which were perviously impossible for someone like me who is not too used to this maneuver...just came back from flying 2 3S 2000mah packs...and I feel like I'm an experienced pilot with this code :)

Your issue is a problem with the APM not being able to communicate with the Compass.  The "Not Healthy" message is very low level and indicates that the I2C connection is being lost.  Can you check your wiring especially the ground pin.

The "slow yaw" that you reported is gyro drift...gyro drift is sadly a normal effect in all mems gyros and cancelling this is one fo the main purposes of the compass (it's also critical for navigation as you probably already know).  So you're seeing this gyro drift because of the compass communication issue.

It's unlikely that this has anything to do with any recent code changes, you can prove it to yourself by loading up an old version of the code like 2.3 (if you still have it around).

Good luck!

Your earlier post was informative, this one even better, thanks :)

© 2015   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service