Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Tags: ACM, Heli, Quad, Traditional

Views: 62137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jan,

Any chance you have your logs and could put them here?  I don't know of any reason why it would do that.

Sorry, no logs. I was running default PIDs on a wildly different setup, it wobbled a lot. When I tried landing it in alt_mode, it hit ground with one landing gear first and then just came wildly forward - I tried flipping to switch for stabilize but it was too late to do anything. Maybe it just overcompensated for the ground hit and tilt...

I was just wondering if anybody is landing in ALT HOLD - if it's supposed to work I can try it again (on soft grass this time :)) and find out what went wrong...

The manual is very clear about this. You can't manualy land in auto modes. This is what it says six times in the manual, including in Alt Hold

"Note: You cannot land and turn off the motors in this mode, since the throttle stick now controls the altitude, not the motors directly. Switch to Stabilize Mode to land and disable the motors."

Yeah, I knew I won't be able to disarm, but it should still be possible to land. It was really a violent reaction, so instead of Note there should be a nice bold WARNING :)

Thanks

You'd like me to go through the manual and change all the "Note:"s to "Warning:"s?

Ha!

Ignoring the manual (you know what I'm like, I'll try anything once ;)), I've landed a dozen times in alt-hold. No probs but i have been gentle and flicked straight back to stab.

If you check out my last vid in the 2.3 thread you will see when i did a fast decent in stab its fine, but a fast decent using alt-hold does cause some oscillations. I've just put this down to tuning, just not had time, or even the inclination to tune it out cause of this rain :(

But other than fine adjustments in altitude why would we want to climb, decent or land in alt-hold mode anyway... it's there to hold altitude.

Well, I think the issue is touching the ground in auto mode, not landing necessarily.  It's certainly possible to touch the ground in auto mode.

That being said, I might guess that the real problem here is that Jan's tuning values are too high.  The quad saw the attitude change when the gear touched the ground and it over-reacted. So it's not really a bug as much as it is a "corner condition" that would be pretty difficult to fix.

Yeah, that's entirely possible. I'm just trying to hint a workaround so nobody gets hurt. How about making it impossible to land then? = never go under certain attitude (like 30cm - configurable)

2.4 is working really well. Flight from yesterday below:

This is a nice video! considered entering the dealer challenge? 

Thanks! I am not aware of the dealer challenge. Must have missed a blog post. Do you have a link?

I believe this is the Three Dealer Challenge Dany was speaking of.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service