Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area. Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.
The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers. Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!
As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion. For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list. Note: you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item. On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.
Interesting that velcro solved it. Can you snap any pictures of how you mount it? I have used velcro in the past, and it definitely still exhibited the leans (could be my motor/prop setup).
I am close to getting rid of the leans, but not perfect yet.
It is how I tune my quad with great results (and I wrote the method 1 part of the wiki :)) If you want I can write a quick how-to and maybe others can improve on that?
Today my gyro was going slow. I fly my hexa with no problem. Then i go home and plug usb and gyro go crazy! After that gyro working very slowly. Is this software or hardware problem/bug?
You're should setup level to after erase and reset in CLI.
I've done this many times with no luck.
I had the exact same problem and tried everything I could think of. The HUD would go crazy, then I would get a NAN error and it would lock up. I couldn't reset in the CLI as I would get a bunch of misc characters mixed in and then it would lock up.
I finally loaded Ardupilot firmware on the APM2 to see if it was a hardware or software problem. This confirmed that it was a software problem. Everything was fine when running Ardupilot code, so I reloaded the Arducopter 2.4.1 and everything started working again.
Thanks for replying. I tried it but it did not work. Maybe magnetometer is broken.
You need an extra free channel on your transmitter to use the CH6 fine-tuning function, you could use any free channel on your Tx but it must be plugged in to the CH6 option on APM. So CHx on Tx > CH6 position on APM.
This also assumes that the 'copter is fairly flyable/controllable and that the pilot is experienced enough to at least keep the 'copter at eye level for 30-60 secs.
Once plugged correctly you setup the option as explained in the wiki and then use that to tune your 'copter while it is actually flying or just landed.
I do Rate_P first (choose a value + & - around 30% of default, so for Rate_P set to low to 100 and high to 180).
Hover at about 1.5m (6ft) and bank the quad briefly left and right, then either land and turn the knob/lever that controls the channel or if you can fly and move it then do it, turn it up and down and choose the flying style which "feels" best to you. Higher might cause oscillations so back off a little until it flies without oscillations but isn't too sluggish.
Then do Stabilize_P, then Rate_I, then Stabilize_I.
Dude... I tried for hours triying to tune Loiter, with ch6... I give up...