Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area. Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.
The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers. Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!
As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion. For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list. Note: you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item. On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.
No doubt. I swear; Andrew must dream in code. Reading his analyses is always more than enlightening - analogous to the way your eyes might bleed if reading the lips of some coding deity as He conveyed the unraveling of all the world's greatest coding bewilderings. ( overboard? :D )
I liken reading his postings to staring into the Total Perspective Vortex. ;)
Thank you, guys! If you'd like me to test a fix/new version please let me know, I have the time and the weather currently. Also if more logs are needed...?
I second that, I'd love to help, I have some time on my hands again for week or two, if there is any version of 2.4.2 that could do with more time in the air, please let me know, at my own risk of course.
I'm more disciplined these day, and so happy to provide data with corresponding logs ;)
Hi Dave, the dev team is studying ways to eliminate the leaning issue (drift correction), me and JL we had very similar crash with this problem, Tridge is investigating possible solutions.
All code changes are always available on the GIT, when there are updates you can test them on.
We already have logs that show the problems reported.
We hope to have by the weekend to release a stable version "2.4.2" (or 2.4.3).
I wait for test it.
Thanks Marco, do the GIT versions coincide with the fixes issues list? I.e. if Tridge posts at 10pm that he's fixed something, will the GIT version contain that fix at that time.
I've spent several hours over the past few days really going to town on vibration, I've had minor leans, but not any more, it seems vibration related for sure - is this how the investigations are going? Filters etc? Just trying to understand more...
Anyway, all this fiddling needed testing... 2.4.1 video is uploading, I think you're gonna like it :)
Dave, the best way to be sure what's in the GIT is to look at the changelogs.
Yes, we're quite sure the leans problem is vibration related. I mean, that's always been the understanding. First step was figuring out why the APM2 was worse than the APM1. That is done, it is understood. Now just figuring out the best way to fight it with both APM 1 and 2.
Yes, great vibration reduction would be the #1 solution. But in the absence of that, software filtering will help.
Did anyone experienced quick lean and crash after using too high STAB I Term ? I was experiencing what I term does putting some high values when suddenly looked like one of motors went off while the opposing one accelerated (this envolved motor 1 and 2 in X config), after that motor 1 was crazy and even with motors disarmed it kept spinning sometimes, like pulses beeing sent via output 1. I checked all connections and all was fine, I'm powering the board via a ubec, wich was fine also. Made an erase, reset and uploaded firmware again and it looks to be fine now, don't know what happened but I'll attach logs if anyone wants to check. I've already looked at them, but doesn't seem anything strange. This happened with the current git version (at 20.00 pm GMT) . Also I would like to know if someone using this version if CH6 option in the Planner is working fine, everytime I connect the APM to the Planner and go to configuration panel, all the params all refreshed normally except ch6 option wich always shows CH6_NONE even if I have a tunning option configured. I've reported as an issue but got an answer as it was working fine, so I don't know if it's something with my software. Thanks (MP 1.1.43 and AC2.4.1 latest versions)
I've not had it at all in 16 batteries, I had stab_I at zero.
I've just a crash just like you describe, but in my case it was a bullet connector going bad (yeah, gonna desolder them tomorrow, should have known better!). After it crashed and flipped over, it was not possible to disarm - locked up. This happened to me every time I crashed (even to the tree) - it's either a bad connection gone bad during crash but working well otherwise, or a bug. But the crash is not caused by it.