Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 63381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Huh, I seem to have similar yaw problems with 2.4.1.  

Ive had 4 to 5 good flights with 2.4.1 loaded from MP on my hex jdrones . The only PID adjustment was STAB Pitch Roll  set at 3.800, I 0.002, IMAX 40.

Yaw was rock solid and never moved at all. Seems quite stable all over. Loiter did very weird stuff so not brave enough to try it again.

Wind was about 8 to 10lkmh

Is the declination issue being discussed in 2.4.1 version from MP or only on the GIT versions?

I really wish people would state clearly what firmware they are referring to on this forum, because it gets confusing which is the one having the issues they are writing about if its not stated.

Useful to include APM version too... ;)

All people that say it's working fine for them are flying quads. I saw at least 3 different people complaining with hexa. My hexa does the same - bouncy yaw (and sort of bouncy throttle as an aftereffect), sometimes very scary - unusable near solid objects :P 

And btw, unless using GPS modes, declination should not matter at all for Yaw hold - or not?

I'm not seeing a yaw problem on my hexa (git 0a1845421b4f943f, APM2), but then I've only been hovering and alt+hold in the yard. Hope to get out and start tuning loiter tomorrow.

Again Jan, which firmware are you people referring to? On my HEX the 2.4.1 APM1 and as loaded from MP is very stable in stabilize mode. All I have adjusted for PIDs was STAB Pitch Roll  set at 3.800, I 0.002, IMAX 40.  Its rock solid in yaw and pitch and roll and up and down. 

Can people please some make reference to both hardware and firmware being uses? Otherwise we have to waste time tracking back though all the discussions to try find it.

After all, the title of this post is for 2.4.1 from MP and not for all the gits and branch off  version right?.

I'm runing 2.4.1 and I'm not using original APM but another platform with the same firmware. I can't give you git hash, sorry.

I know Marco demonstrated this issue in all his recent videos and I also saw a "possible fix" in code (after 2.4.2) for this issue. So let's hope it will be gone in next version. Some people have this problem, some don't. I always look for a wiring error in my rig or a magnetic field nearby because I saw some yaw twitching with every firmware - sometimes not as bad and usually when near possible interference (antennas, wires underground...). Even when it happened it was mild and didn't bother me, but with recent firmwares (2.4, 2.4.1) it's very bad and makes it very hard to fly confidently (I'm not that good a pilot, so when it starts rotating fast and coming at a brick wall... still best practice to crash it in my case :)

Btw the problem is yaw drift, bounce is just an aftereffect. I made it go away by tuning Yaw PIDs for a while, but it still wanders. Before it would just rotate right-left-right-left, sometimes with increasing difference.

I don't think we have to waste time on this until the next version comes out, sorry for the confusion if I caused any - just trying to calm people by telling them they're not alone so they don't waste time looking for ghosts... those threads are getting very long very fast.

I'll try on the hexa tomorrow. I have a quad running 2.4.1 fine, haven't used my hexa in over a week (2.4.0), and just finished a Y6 last week (2.4.1). The Y6 was getting some bouncing yaw, BUT it was from a cracked motor mount AND loose bullets connectors--didn't realize the mount was cracked until after I took it apart and I took out the bullets and soldered directly. Now the Y6 is solid--such that I'm now a believer of a Y6, super stable :)

I found yaw drift in hover typically from compass issues in the past.

On another topic, one thing I found out over last week--do not use the NEW (>Jan2012) hobbywing funfly ESCs--they are terrible on multicopters (suspect some pwm filtering in firmware), the ESC is very "coarse": motor vibrations are really bad and motors are noisy, like it's running a 4khz pwm loop. Spent the last 3 days fighting instability in hover with them and finally DUMPED them. Switched back to mystery 20As and runs just fine.

Hi Cliff-E,

can you post your Y6 specs and pids??  I also got a Y6 (2kgr) and can't get rid of some "trembling".

Sure the Y6 is in my flight lab at work, will post in the morning...

I am suddenly getting this roll right bias issue earlier today, not sure if it's APM leveling, an ESC or motor issue...

Im waiting until for a updated release, I crashed my hexa as it flipped Ill wait and see

Oh, and another rather annoying thing I noticed with git release 94c14cef91ab : I cannot connect to mission planner anymore with my wireless connection (APC220).  Annoying cause now I can't make tlogs anymore for debugging.  I think I saw this problem pass by earlier in this thread, but can't seem to find it anymore.  Anyone know what might be wrong ?  I checked baud rates, they are set at 57000 in both planner and ACM, which seems correct

About the yaw problems, I see Tridge has just pushed a fix to git : 60a6c80614b2 .  Thanks for all the work guys !

DIY Drones Monthly

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Pylon Race, is here

© 2015   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service