Version 2.5 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Enhancements:

1. The first ArduCopter code release optimized for the APM 2.  Leans and drift should be much reduced or even eliminated for most users.  This was accomplished through a number of core improvements to the DCM implementation by Tridge like this one and this one.
  2. Loiter and waypoint following should be improved due to a D term bug fix, some tuning and the improved DCM performance mentioned above.
  3. On start-up, the yaw heading is updated with first successful mag read (so you should no longer see the slow rotation from north to your actual heading).
  4. Increased output rate to ESCs to 490hz.  This update rate is also user selectable using the new RC_SPEED parameter.
  5. hexa copter stability patch bug fix (should resolve slight flattening when pitching forward and accelerating very rapidly).
  6. improved baro filtering
  7. fix to dataflash logging of Mag heading
  8. addition of H1 swash plate type and bug fix for proactive yaw compensation for collective pitch changes for TradHelis.

Tuning:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

While some testers have reported very good flights with the default PIDs, some have reported that this release is a little "sharper" due to the DCM improvements and have found they needed to:

reduce stabilize P by 10% (i.e. 4.5 -> 4.2)

reduce stabilize D by 30% (i.e. 0.15 -> 0.10)

increase rate D from 0 to 0.001

Tuning loiter can be tricky.  Refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

Please post your feedback in this discussion.  For enhancement requests  and bug report, please add them to the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.5 but tell us anyway!).

Thanks for this release go to the developers (both in the core team but also those who have provided bug fixes through the issues list) and also the community members who participated in the previous release thread and provided some great detailed information in the form of issue reports and logs which allowed us to nail some bugs!

Tags: ACM, APM1, APM2, Heli, Quad

Views: 127248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All,

Y6 Hexa (aka Skybot)
Arducopter v.2.5
Default parameters
Motors:BC-2836/7 1120kv
Props:10x4.5
Weight:1950gr + Batt.
Size: 57cm motor to center
APM1

Sunday evening I tested 2.5 indoors, all I can say is WOW (as many have already :-) ), using stock params STABLE was almost great except for the yaw, that tended to always come back (overcorrecting a lot), tuned it and got it better, a couple of times it would just keep turning no matter what correction I tried (1:56 to 2:20) I ended up landing.

ALT_HOLD, did some yo-yo, but a bit of tunning got rid of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cPcOSlT-wc

On the sixth or seventh flight, while doing a vertical shot from about 10m a loud BANG was heard, and it started to woble, I managed to land, and guess what, the rear bottom prop was GONE, found the pieces some 20m away!!  Well, must have been a defective prop (I thought), here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bKRvSyagL0

Moday evening went for some testing outside, lots of wind some 20km/h, but quite constant. Couln't try loiter, as it would not detect my MTK GPS  :-|  (still got to investigate that)

Tuned the yaw, and the ALT_HOLD, this has been the first tima I was able to fly some nice traslations, really responsive.

But alas, on the third flight decided to do a high shot with the GoPro, so, I mounted the camera, and the 4S 5000mA, I first did some hovering, pointed the camera, then applied about 75%-80% thottle, and up we go. At about 30m something was heard, and saw many bits flying around!! At least two or three props broke!!!!

It went down spining violently, it landed flat on it's back, the three alu arms are badly bent, new ones required, all 6 props gone!! no other damage.

So concluding: 2.5 is a winner, never flown better and felt really good.
As for my Y6 Hexa, I believe that heavy copters (+2kgr) must use better/bigger props, it flew very nice with those black 10x4.5.

Any suggestions as what props should be used in a 2.5krg Y6 with BC-2836/7 1120kv??

I'll rebuild the bird and try better and or bigger props.... Never trust cheap props....

btw, has anyone else broken a prop in mid air??

Congratulations Dev Team!

I also had a few break while in flight, am now using APC SF 11x4.7 with great success, even colliding with the branches of a tree this morning with no damage. Sorry for your crash.

I have used the 12x4.5 from ebay, which recently has just exploded in flight. Lousy quality I guess, so I went to buy APC props. Although a bit more expensive  seems to be much more solid. The ebay ones seems to be crap. I tried to bend an ebay prop, and it took little force to break at the hub. APC seems much stronger. you get what you pay.

I buy all my props here http://flyduino.net/Propellers and haven't had a single problem. Plastic ones are very soft but indestructible - great for begginers. They mostly bend. I had them break only when hitting the ground upside down hard.

Carbon reinforced are way better, i fly 8" all the time (and they are close in performance to 9" plastic ones) and they also don't break that easily, they usually survive a handful of crashes.

And I never had to balance any of them - nothing to balance here :-)

Fully agree. I also use Flyduino props 10" and 8" and all are great. Never needed to balance.

Angel

thanks!  I just placed an order!  let's see if I can have the bird in shape when I get those new props ;-)

Are u talking abt the emax propellers? Do u recomend

Hi,

were do I find the manual compass calibration mode in MP?

Regards,

Pablo

PACEFE,

Sorry nobody's answered your question yet.  I see you've posted it a couple of times.  I'm actually not sure where it is but I assume it's in on one of the hardware set-up screens.  I'll try and find it tonight.

+1, I was waiting for the answer too :)

Is this located in the hardware tab, right beside the compass?  There's a calibrate button that I've been using.

Can not find it.

Will complete download the mission planner insted of using the update button.

Thanks!!!,

Pablo

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service