Version 2.5 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!
The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
While some testers have reported very good flights with the default PIDs, some have reported that this release is a little "sharper" due to the DCM improvements and have found they needed to:
reduce stabilize P by 10% (i.e. 4.5 -> 4.2)
reduce stabilize D by 30% (i.e. 0.15 -> 0.10)
increase rate D from 0 to 0.001
Tuning loiter can be tricky. Refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.
Please post your feedback in this discussion. For enhancement requests and bug report, please add them to the arducopter issues list. When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.5 but tell us anyway!).
Thanks for this release go to the developers (both in the core team but also those who have provided bug fixes through the issues list) and also the community members who participated in the previous release thread and provided some great detailed information in the form of issue reports and logs which allowed us to nail some bugs!
That is correct,Randy
It looks like your throttle suddenly went to minimum just before your Octa flipped. Is it possible that your radio failsafe kicked in for some reason? Maybe low voltage? I assume you didn't suddenly cut your throttle yourself.
Below is a plot fromt he mission planner, your throttle is the top graph, the copter's roll is the bottom graph. It's hard to see because the scales are quite perfectly lined up but even looking at the raw data in the tlog file, it's clear the throttle cut comes before the flip.
You can actually hear it as well in the video you posted that the motors cut-off. Sorry for your crash but hopefully this gives a better direction of where to look to solve the problem.
Randy,your help is well appriciated,thanks a lot.
The hint about failsave makes a lot of sense.
I got an Orange 9 Ch. receiver on my octo,before i had orange 6 ch. where i had the same problem as well,i´ll swap to AR 8000 and see what happens.
First of all i´ll have to fix my octo,by the way,already building a new one,improved version:)
Pay close attention Fred: if your receiver is the "Orange RX" have you disabled the internal fail safe in your TX?
Is must important, read the documentation of your receiver, if you don't disable the internal failsafe you can have some deficiencies on the channels, this is clearly written in the manual of Orange, I tell you why I use and I know...
Read the manual, the phrases in red.
I do not know if this can also apply for "Spektrum" compatible.
thanks for your advise.
First of all ,the Orangerx is different to the FrSky,but that´s not the point.
I now figured,that my DX8 has a range fault.After 10 meters in range test mode,the rx goes to failsafe,even the original AR8000.
Already called the horizon people,send it back tomorrow.
Took me three crashes to find out,broke landing gear,cam gimbal incl. servo.
I´ll sort it out with them and report.
DO NOT FLY WITH 2.5!!! USE THE 2.5.3 IN THE PLANNER NOW!!!
I write this yestarday.... i'm sorry Paul...
Hi Paul, i'm sorry, i wait your log!
Please open new issue here, describe the problem in detail and upload your log and tlog, cool thanks!
I'll get it uploaded for you tomorrow after work.
Just flew… 2.5.3 on AMP2 on large Tri
1) The Yaw problem with hard nose down is gone..
2) The Yaw in general just seems to work better
3) Alt hold is fantastic… Plus or Minus 1 foot at times.. super reliable.
4) Stab is good as ever..
I tuned Loiter_P from 0.6 up to 3.0 and it just seems dumb…
It makes like one attempt to get back the it gives up and drifts 100s feet away..
Cant stay in 100x200 foot field…
Caption for the above: "Electric multicopter takes its pet airplane for a walk." Or is that a fly?
On my standard quad, APM1, 1280 board, 2.5.3, stab is as good as always, alt-hold worked very well, even in gusty conditions.
Area too small for any other tests, but so far so good, thanks team!
I have flown almost every version since NG and I knew in a millisecond 2.5x was a major leap ahead. I have a x525 quad, apm2
and the instant I took off with 2.53 I knew it was great. All of us who fly copters know ground effect and the need to pop up a couple of feet to get stable. This software can float the quad an inch high with no ground effect! Absolutely the smoothest thing ever.
Dave C is right - tuning is now like it should be, no longer change .001 and it is unflyable. I have used many of Marco's pids - the rate / stab tweaks really make it nice and responsive - I almost feel like I can fly like Marco! (HaHa - I have a looong way to go). The Loiter P from .35 to .1 helps, maybe 3 meter in low wind now,
The one thing I had that diverged from Marco was Altitude Hold P and I. Where he went down from .5 D to .2, I went to D = 1.3 and I = .01 and both sonar and baro seem very accurate and responsive. I just guessed here, it would be interesting to see what others get. The defaults were kind of soft and sloppy, maybe I should play with throttle too. The APM2 baro is amazing -usually hangs within a few inches, sometimes will move a foot or two and then recover stability.
Another note, I agree with others - I was using cheap flimsy props, finally wen to APC and It flies and sounds much better. The almost never snap at the hub like cheapies, yaw and control is much better.
Anyway, I am now anxious to go on to mission functions. It is impossible to thank Jason, Tridge, and all the other geniuses behind this. We also need to thank Marco, JLN, DaveC for thier brave testing and feedback that helped me many times.