Version 2.6 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!
Updates to MavLink 1.0 means you will need to use "ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe" to connect. If you've updated your mission planner recently you should find this executable in the directory where the mission planner is installed.
The above video is done using a prototype 3dr ublox GPS which seems to have better accuracy than the standard mediatek.
Improvements over 2.5.5 include:
- MavLink 1.0 support (use with ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe) [Tridge, Craig]
- Stability improvements especially during level hover [Jason]
- throttle range improvement (higher min and max) [Jason]
- improved standard Loiter PIDs [Alan, Heino, Jason, Angel]
- dataflash erase speed up ('+' messages removed but it only takes 6 seconds now) [Tridge]
- Copter LEDs [Robert Lefebvre]
- RTL loiter stage target set to home to improve final landing position [Jason]
- flip & acro improvements [Jason]
- circle mode target improvement for ground station [Jason]
- Auto Approach [Adam Rivera / Marco]
Bug fixes include:
- UBLOX driver fixes (lock should now be more reliable) [Tridge]
- enable mavlink messages during dataflash erase which resolves issue in which new APMs fresh from the factory appeared unresponsive [Tridge]
- proper printing of lat/lon values in dataflash logs [Randy]
- removed duplicate GPS reads [Jason]
- resolve flooding of telemetry link with low-battery warnings [Tridge]
- RTL bug would land if rtl_approach_alt was more than 1 [Jason]
- WP Radius could not be set larger than 1.3m [Jason/Randy]
PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
This time we spent some time optimising the loiter PIDs. Tuning loiter can be tricky so please refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.
All feedback welcome below. Enhancement requests and bug reports can be put into the arducopter issues list. When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.6 but tell us anyway!).
i don't get the problem with bullet connectors. The ones I use are so tight to get of and on I cant see how I would get a faulty connection with these.
Maybe my problem is the magnetometer, mine is still soldered on my APM1 board.
Could this be the reason why my position hold and RTL are not working like they should?
How can I be sure that my compass is working well? I've done several live calibrations.
I updated my vTailY6-APM2 board to 2.6 and MavLink 1.0
I flew a first flight to tune Acro mode then proceeded to Level mode. What a difference from 2.5.5: As I was struggling with wobble before 2.6, I'm really happy with 2.6.
I had a surprise when tuning Level mode. While testing some heading changes, I experienced a strange pilot reaction, like being in simple mode. Very uncomfortable when used to fly "normal" mode. At the bench I found a "simple" case checked near my level mode setting. I missed it before...
Altitude hold is perfectible, Loiter quite fine.
Thanks for your work,
make sure all the transmitters, receivers and wires are well away from the mag as far as practically possible. have shields or chokes put on your wires and looms helps to reduce ER noise as well. Even cheap batteries can affect the mag if they are to close.
but before the APM firmware had 8 channels for the X8 only 4 channels were used correct? One channel signal for the 2 motors on each arm. So then how can yaw work if the top and bottom motor counteract each others affect that yaw needs to work with?
very cool Dave!! what goggles are u using?
Googles are fatshark dominators,
vtx/vrx are the cheapo 5.8ghz set from HK, with the skew planar, clover leaf aerial combo from fpvuk - massive improvement over stock! I'm really surprised how good the range is with these tiny aerials, penetration isn't so hot, as you'd expect for 5.8.
However next payday I'm going to bite the bullet, I'm building an antenna tracker with a high gain CP panel, and hooking this into the immersion diversity rx with a new transmitter and eztracker just for good measure.
So my APM platforms will be packing 2 lots of telemetry, what a great way to test the APM auto functions and GPS accuracy :) Oh yeah and of course to be able to fly much further.
It's almost test time over for me, and time to build the proper rigs :)
Great work guys!!
Does it work now?
Or, it is set to 9, and you still get this behaviour?
Hi Marco... i dont find a U-Blox6 module in a europe shop... Any ideas?!?
Wich cable we need? And do you know an europe shop??
Can I use this one??
It was already set to 9 with this behavior.