Version 2.6 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Updates to MavLink 1.0 means you will need to use "ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe" to connect.  If you've updated your mission planner recently you should find this executable in the directory where the mission planner is installed.

The above video is done using a prototype 3dr ublox GPS which seems to have better accuracy than the standard mediatek.

Improvements over 2.5.5 include:
     - MavLink 1.0 support (use with ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe) [Tridge, Craig]

- Stability improvements especially during level hover [Jason]

- throttle range improvement (higher min and max) [Jason]

- improved standard Loiter PIDs [Alan, Heino, Jason, Angel]

- dataflash erase speed up ('+' messages removed but it only takes 6 seconds now) [Tridge]

- Copter LEDs [Robert Lefebvre]

- RTL loiter stage target set to home to improve final landing position [Jason]

- flip & acro improvements [Jason]

- circle mode target improvement for ground station [Jason]

- Auto Approach [Adam Rivera / Marco]

Bug fixes include:

- UBLOX driver fixes (lock should now be more reliable) [Tridge]

- enable mavlink messages during dataflash erase which resolves issue in which new APMs fresh from the factory appeared unresponsive [Tridge]

- proper printing of lat/lon values in dataflash logs [Randy]

- removed duplicate GPS reads [Jason]

- resolve flooding of telemetry link with low-battery warnings [Tridge]

- RTL bug would land if rtl_approach_alt was more than 1 [Jason]

- WP Radius could not be set larger than 1.3m [Jason/Randy]

Tuning:
PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props.  If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

This time we spent some time optimising the loiter PIDs.  Tuning loiter can be tricky so please refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

All feedback welcome below.  Enhancement requests and bug reports can be put into the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.6 but tell us anyway!).

Happy flying!

Tags: ACM, APM1, APM2, Heli, Quad

Views: 60645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow I can't believe I didn't try that. I guess since the reset issue on APM was fixed awhile ago, I didn't have a reason to open my FC container (i.e. tupperware bowl) and forgot there was a reset on the OSD. :) Thanks!

Hello,

Ok i switched to Arducopter V2.6 Hexa X for my jdrones Hexa 880 Kv; the only changes on the stock pids i made are:

Angular Rate Control P 0.110  (for medium motor size)

Stabilize Control P 3.5

Any other param that needs to be changed?

What is the significance of Stabilize Control I and Imax, previously i was flying the Arducopter V2.5.5 with I = 0.01 and Imax = 2.00 while in V2.6 they are 0.100 and 40.000, should they also be changed?

How can i convert the saved files on the APM2 to a tlog file... I want to use the data for a compass LOG Calibration...

Chris,

I'm afraid that tlogs (.tlog) and dataflash logs (.log) are different formats so we don't have any easy way to convert them.  We have thought of changing the dataflash so that it outputs in tlog format but it's big-ish job.

I guess we need Mihael O to make a parser for the dataflash logs as well for that compass calibration routine..

Hello All! Just had my first long flight with 2.6. It is FANTASTIC! Here is a little tip that gets repeated often in these forums and is equally as often ignored: Do NOT use bullet connectors! I was never a believer in the down side of bullet connectors, but I learned my lesson this weekend. The increased resistance of my crappy bullets caused excessive heat to build under my dome cover. Also, the connection was just intermittent enough to cause the timing to go out of sync between a few of my motors and their ESCs.

yep.. keep telling it to all customers!  

Most people say: "But it comes with the ESC and Motors, they must be ok..." 

My answer is always" Yes they are OK.. just OK... if you want PERFECT reliability (at least between ESC and Motors) the SUPER EASY way it to solder directly. "

People think that when they crash of need to "quickly" repair a motor or ESC it will be easier... From my crash experiences (a lot of them! ) I never find it long to get back to the garage and cut/solder new leads.   Anyhow it is quite rare that only the motor gets damaged...  :) 

glad you also like 2.6!! I would have like to fly it too this weekend but I had to sell my personal APM2 (last one in stock) for a customer is real needs! Hahaa  it happens way to often that I get a call from a university or a company that need rush an APM2 and stocks are always so low that I end up shipping mine.  :( 

Oh well customers first!

Dany

I had been reluctant to do it only because on an Octo its 24 wires to solder :-)

Reliability is paramount. I should have soldered them long ago.

Just a thought Dany,

I waited 6 weeks for my APM2 and I love it.

Still working out the kinks in release 2.6 definitely requires different PIDs.

But wouldn't it be a thought to rethink how you guys are producing these APM2's.

Seems to me that after several months of not being able to catch up you might want to think about some way to ramp up or batch process production so you actually end up with stock rather than a waiting period.

If you actually had stock you'd probably sell even more of them.!

Just a thought.

BTW I really do appreciate the incredible effort you guys put out to support this stuff, just saying.

I agree that I could sell a lot more! I get a shipment of 20 every 3-4 weeks and I always go out of stock. 

There is 2 major issues at play here.  

One on my side called CASH (I do need to pay for these before I sell them) Donation welcome!! hehe

The other one on the 3DRobotics side called DEMAND (everyone wants one!) 

But we both are working hard to solve these, 3DR is doing another "assembly line" and I am buying more and more of these babies as profits comes in.  I am currently and since the grand opening 8 months ago constantly re-investing all profit into the inventory to grow.  I also inject quite a lot from my own pockets to get new products.  This just takes time and calculated risks.  For me this Canadian distributor thing is not my main job but I love the hobby and community that much that I gladly work the 40 hours + extra per week to please my fellow Canadians.  One day it may turn profitable but at the moment the main goal is "just" to stabilize in the inventory and cash flow process. 

There is quite a few US citizens that also found my store... Somehow when money is not an object they buy the APM2s from me and pay a lot of shipping. But they get it most of the time faster than if it was ordered from the US store due to the waiting line over there.   

See I do not "pre-sell" them, I do not allow back order sales so when I get a batch, the fastest gets them first.  

Anyhow, we digress from the topic of 2.6 firmware... Cant wait to fly it (more than the small test I did) 

Dany

Sorry Dany,

Really wasn't trying to be critical, didn't understand you were Canadian Dist, this was really directed at 3DR not you.

I ran my own business for several years selling a kiln controller I designed and I would have loved to be in the position that 3DR is now, but I do think I would have eventually figured out how to ramp production to match demand and make money doing so.

Unfortunately APM2s are in a lot more demand than kiln controllers.

Your effort and the value of your responses are greatly appreciated, sorry if I seemed otherwise.

Gary

Well, you can use them.

What I do is solder one end of the little pressure ring so that it cannot rotate, that normally is where the problems arises.

Then, it does take some soldering skill, very easy to glob the whole thing up.

You are right, just solder the wires....

i don't get the problem with bullet connectors. The ones I use are so tight to get of and on I cant see how I would get a faulty connection with these.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service