Version 2.6 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!
Updates to MavLink 1.0 means you will need to use "ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe" to connect. If you've updated your mission planner recently you should find this executable in the directory where the mission planner is installed.
The above video is done using a prototype 3dr ublox GPS which seems to have better accuracy than the standard mediatek.
Improvements over 2.5.5 include:
- MavLink 1.0 support (use with ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe) [Tridge, Craig]
- Stability improvements especially during level hover [Jason]
- throttle range improvement (higher min and max) [Jason]
- improved standard Loiter PIDs [Alan, Heino, Jason, Angel]
- dataflash erase speed up ('+' messages removed but it only takes 6 seconds now) [Tridge]
- Copter LEDs [Robert Lefebvre]
- RTL loiter stage target set to home to improve final landing position [Jason]
- flip & acro improvements [Jason]
- circle mode target improvement for ground station [Jason]
- Auto Approach [Adam Rivera / Marco]
Bug fixes include:
- UBLOX driver fixes (lock should now be more reliable) [Tridge]
- enable mavlink messages during dataflash erase which resolves issue in which new APMs fresh from the factory appeared unresponsive [Tridge]
- proper printing of lat/lon values in dataflash logs [Randy]
- removed duplicate GPS reads [Jason]
- resolve flooding of telemetry link with low-battery warnings [Tridge]
- RTL bug would land if rtl_approach_alt was more than 1 [Jason]
- WP Radius could not be set larger than 1.3m [Jason/Randy]
PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
This time we spent some time optimising the loiter PIDs. Tuning loiter can be tricky so please refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.
All feedback welcome below. Enhancement requests and bug reports can be put into the arducopter issues list. When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.6 but tell us anyway!).
Will have another look at them. Parameters are stock, just changed the height. Shouldn't it work like this?
Could you also have a look at my previous posts regarding my testing with 2.6 and the bad results I'm getting in position hold and alt hold.
Maybe you could pinpoint what the problems may be.
Again, I'm using stock PID's.
Not necessarily the default parameters are the best, many factors come into play.
I personally do not use in my quad this stock pid's, I've tuned all the parameters during flight for my setup.
This default has been made by some in the dev team flying with DIY 3DR quad but it is only a starting point
Concerning PID tuning, is there a good guide / procedure available?
I remember that Dave C started something like this.
This would be a great help when using a custom frame, motors,...
Do you mean like http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Tweaks ?
This is also a helpful video, from OpenPilot, but you can adjust your thinking between APM and OpenPilot terminology, and you can get a lot out of watching that video.
Yup, guilty. Been very busy, sorry, will collate the info and update it soon.
However on father's day i got an hour or two to myself, so out with Channel6 tuning, ON WITH THE GOGGLES. Defaults params, 3DRframe, 850jdrones kit.
Like it! and the stunt at the end is nice! :) you have nerves to stay sit there! :)
or a back of steel? hehe
Nice video and great place to fly!
great flying Dave, excellent quality video and nice FPV :D congratulations
very cool Dave!! what goggles are u using?
Googles are fatshark dominators,
vtx/vrx are the cheapo 5.8ghz set from HK, with the skew planar, clover leaf aerial combo from fpvuk - massive improvement over stock! I'm really surprised how good the range is with these tiny aerials, penetration isn't so hot, as you'd expect for 5.8.
However next payday I'm going to bite the bullet, I'm building an antenna tracker with a high gain CP panel, and hooking this into the immersion diversity rx with a new transmitter and eztracker just for good measure.
So my APM platforms will be packing 2 lots of telemetry, what a great way to test the APM auto functions and GPS accuracy :) Oh yeah and of course to be able to fly much further.
It's almost test time over for me, and time to build the proper rigs :)
Impressive video Dave!! congrats!!
Maybe my problem is the magnetometer, mine is still soldered on my APM1 board.
Could this be the reason why my position hold and RTL are not working like they should?
How can I be sure that my compass is working well? I've done several live calibrations.
make sure all the transmitters, receivers and wires are well away from the mag as far as practically possible. have shields or chokes put on your wires and looms helps to reduce ER noise as well. Even cheap batteries can affect the mag if they are to close.