Version 2.6 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!
Updates to MavLink 1.0 means you will need to use "ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe" to connect. If you've updated your mission planner recently you should find this executable in the directory where the mission planner is installed.
The above video is done using a prototype 3dr ublox GPS which seems to have better accuracy than the standard mediatek.
Improvements over 2.5.5 include:
- MavLink 1.0 support (use with ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe) [Tridge, Craig]
- Stability improvements especially during level hover [Jason]
- throttle range improvement (higher min and max) [Jason]
- improved standard Loiter PIDs [Alan, Heino, Jason, Angel]
- dataflash erase speed up ('+' messages removed but it only takes 6 seconds now) [Tridge]
- Copter LEDs [Robert Lefebvre]
- RTL loiter stage target set to home to improve final landing position [Jason]
- flip & acro improvements [Jason]
- circle mode target improvement for ground station [Jason]
- Auto Approach [Adam Rivera / Marco]
Bug fixes include:
- UBLOX driver fixes (lock should now be more reliable) [Tridge]
- enable mavlink messages during dataflash erase which resolves issue in which new APMs fresh from the factory appeared unresponsive [Tridge]
- proper printing of lat/lon values in dataflash logs [Randy]
- removed duplicate GPS reads [Jason]
- resolve flooding of telemetry link with low-battery warnings [Tridge]
- RTL bug would land if rtl_approach_alt was more than 1 [Jason]
- WP Radius could not be set larger than 1.3m [Jason/Randy]
PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
This time we spent some time optimising the loiter PIDs. Tuning loiter can be tricky so please refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.
All feedback welcome below. Enhancement requests and bug reports can be put into the arducopter issues list. When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.6 but tell us anyway!).
ampilot, Thanks for some really good guidance!
Knowing exactly what it's (supposed) to do is a great guide for diagnosing problems!
Looking at the code area now!
Have to agree... I get very erratic altitude hold with sonar... turn it off and I get much better results.
Does the ground type effect it much? as when I try it at home on with USB power with wooden floors it is "cm" accurate to 2m (roof means I can't try it further!), but in the field over grass (short grass on sports field) it is rubbish...
Running APM2 with MB1000 LV-MaxSonar-EZ0.
Alex, that is entirely true. Grass is a very "soft" target, and it does make a big difference in the sonar return.
I did a Loiter at about 4 meters with the "MB1260 XL-MaxSonar-EZL0 High Performance Ultrasonic Range Finder" and found it to be very stable. This was over grass then a field of Canola then gravel. Here are the things I have setup:
- Sonar at very bottom of Quad
- Foam over sonar
- Shielded cable used for signal
- At sonar end, toroid coil on power cable
Use a long time and only arducopter were problems, the end of it was called ... DJI threat. stability and confidence is very good.
Could not find any reference to this but has the boot issue with the APM1 been resolved in the APM2. That is, do I have to wait for complete boot up before applying ESC power anymore?
Anyway, 2.6 has been great for me in every way. The Rate and Stab loops seem to be more efficient, I have reduced both Rate/Stab P values from v2.55 with smooth predicable results. Below is on a very windy day at the beach but with good control. Rate P was down to .095 and Stab P was set at 4.6 w/ SimonK ESC's.
The APM 2 is a thing of beauty, and the platform goes from strength to strength, after the APM 1, I'm just chuffed with the new size, features, sensors etc.
I can't get GPS lock now though, since updating to the 2.6 FW.
Best I can get is two sats, even after an hour sitting outside in clear skies. However, as per other forum users, I plug in the USB cable, and I get lock within two minutes.
After some months sorting out a MinimOSD board issues with help from the great Sandro, so I can find home when I'm FPV'ing, I'm REALLY keen to get this going.
What parameters have changed to cause this, do you think?
Talking somewhat blind here with little info on your quad... but I improved my mag and GPS by putting my APM2 on 3/4" standoffs, and bam it worked very well. This got it away from my uBEC and other noise making sources.
It is only my opinion, but it looks too close to everything that low. When I had mine that low both the mag and gps worked poorly. Try putting it on the next level just to experiment. If it works well think of other ways to protect the board, like nylon standoffs on each side, or build another level above it. I put mine up high then added a dome.
It's sitting outside now with all the protective crap taken off from around it. I note yours is the side pin variant, and I wonder if mine, being top-pin, causes any issues with reception. Nice setup Matt!
I have both types of pinouts with no noticeable difference. The current thread about GPS lock on the APM2, which you maybe reading, has highlighted the sources of noise that can effect a GPS... uBEC, ESC's, and Telemetry. Noise can be through the air or through wire. I use a number of toroids on my Quads for that reason.