ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 379395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have not used or tried the 'fence', partly because I don't feel the need at all and secondly because until my external mag arrives my quad will crash anyway if it RTL's from a distance away.

So I certainly vote against having a large HUD warning message on permanently because the fence is disabled.

Pablo, i did check again your log, and i've seen that your rate P PID are set quite low at 0.096. And Stab B quite high at 6.0.

How did you find those values ? If your center of gravity is low, then Rate P are perhaps too low.

This could have helped to crash.

A possible source of vibrations could be the gimbal if it does enter an auto oscillation cycle because of too aggressive gimbal stabilizer PIDs.

If RTL does not work because of a compass problem or too much wind, then Fence will set LAND mode if the flyaway distance from the fence limit become > 100m.

Olivier

My problem with the fence is the loss of GPS would invoke LAND regardless of the mode we're in. So its not a 'zero cost' option. I fly over water a lot, mostly in stabilise or alt-hold. I'd happily enable the fence at 300m because I don't fly too far - but if I turn on the fence, a GPS issue causes me to lose my craft even if its flying right next to me on the water in a non GPS mode....

another test , setup with standar parameter acc hold p 0,750  and i 1,5 is some better but not work and lift up or down slowly depends of position of throttle stick when switched .i try to set  th mid but no find a best value, 

where i can see the status of the mode switch in the log?

If I downgrade to the 2.9.1b firmware, will the APM retain all my last calibrations (ACC, compass, compassmot, radio), or do I need to perform them all again?

Reason: I tried 3.0.1 today on my quadcopter that flew fine with 2.9.1b, reperformed all calibrations outdoors, but in loiter mode it starts toilet bowling badly. compassmot said my magnetic interference was 63%. There's no room for any more separation and my ESC is already a 4-in-1. My props are balanced and the RAW log indicates values of less than 1 for the X and Y axis, and 10 for the Z axis, i.e. all within limits. 

I had a crash today with 3.0.1 using a 3dr Hexa 900kV motors with 10X3,8 props 8000mAh 3S. I did one known mistake: I added a CU plate under the GPS to get better GPS (had GPS jumps). GPS was fine but I forgot to check the compass ;-( . I did only fly in Stab mode when the problems began. Suddenly the Hexa rolls and pitchs falling in a tree. Maybe someone could assist what was the problem of the crash. I can´t believe that a compass issue could cause the crash (Problems begin at 95% of the log)

Regards

Gregor

Attachments:

ok, I did look hard for an answer but couldn't find any -- Why is compass and interference negation so important now with 3.0+. And why is magnetic interference interfering ( :) ) with loiter.  It all used to work nicely in the pre 3 days. What I'm trying to understand is what changed and answer the question why is it now such a big deal.

Once again -- sorry if this was answered previously, I simply could not find it (and spend like an hour looking).

I just wanted to give my own feedback on the new firmware 3.0.1.

I flashed my APM2.5 yesterday with 3.0.1 (just the Flash + radio calibration. The rest of the settings were still there (2.9.1).

I flew my quad (F450) + 5.8Ghz FPV

GPS lock (9sat)

ACC calibrated

compass calibrated (next to my notebook indoors) (like in the youtube video shown)

Bugs:

1:

At first there were some strange hick ups. The copter suddenly twitched 30° left and right. I was in panic and landed. I switched it off and on.

This time the twitching was gone.

Today the same happened again. Just the first time I had lift off. After a reboot there was nothing twitching.

2:

PH worked fine. After some flying time PH still worked fine, but switching to LOITER made the copter slowly land. I had to switch back to PH/Stabilize.

Same did happen in ALT hold just minutes later on the same + second lipo.

3:

RTL worked fine yesterday. Copter went up and flew home.

Today the copter flew up and flew home, but very, very slowly (yes, there was some wind but I guess the copter keeps a certain speed not angle)

4:

PH + Flying:

Usually I select PH and then fly around. This way whenever I panic I just stop steering and the copter holds Position.

Today the copter hold PH perfectly, but steering was nearly impossible. The copter moved so slowly even on full Nick. Switching to stabalize made a huge difference.

Are these bugs or did I forget to finetune settings?

Has anybody got a link to the the version 2.9.1b hex file? 

I've been clicking through almost every directory here but can't find it: 

http://firmware.diydrones.com/Copter/

The stable directory contains only the latest stable.

Its a lot easier if you post the dataflash log when asking for advice. Otherwise, its almost impossible to answer.

#2 sounds like THR_MID - logs would confirm.

Hi, First and most importantly.  THANK YOU DEVS for all the great work.  I've seen a huge improvement in my Hexa-C's flight and stability since upgrading to 3.0.1.

I do however have an issue I would like someone to review and help me with.

1.  I do not think my sonar is working when I switch to ALT HOLD. I've attached logs for your review.  Am I right that it's not working?

2.  Where exactly do I go to see vibration issues with my motors?  How do I call up all 6 motors to monitor for vibrations.

3. Still trying to determine PID settings for LOITER.

Logs attached.  I'm open to suggestions. 

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2016   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service