ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 379388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

is possible that the value in the Y-Gyro is precisely because of the accident, if not the cause .... the truth is that I was in a perfect hover, and hexa shot out forward, without any explanation I could download accelerator .... only after crossing an asphalt track, to prevent breakage was greater ... will have traveled about out of control about 20 meters tall ... and very little ... but with a lot of speed to later ... the truth is I'm new to this system, and I fail to distinguish that value attached log that might give me some clue of what happened ...

accel noise? your log does not have IMU info. Turn on and test your accel noise.

GPS Hdop is high also (sometimes > 2.6). 

You must download your log : http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-diagnosing-problems-using-l...

turn on IMU log also to see your accel noise.

Also, change the Loiter PID P from 1 to 0,5 for reduce the aggressiveness.

thank you very much ...! This would be the log ...???

Attachments:

Finish with .log

This ...??? the problem is that I can not identify the specific log for the accident flight, I see that ends in 44, as he recorded the telemetry ... but the one in the EPROM of the board, to download it to my notebook, was recorded with today's date ...

Attachments:

Just had something odd happen. 

I haven't been flying much and decided to go goof around in the yard to test out a new Mobius camera. Took off and hit alt hold then loiter and it seemed fine. Hit Land and it started coming down but seemed sort of wobbly/ Was gradually moving it back toward me as it came down when it took off directly away from me. It was headed for the trees, so I just cut all switches (set up so it should go to Stabilize when all switches are off) and dropped throttle so it dropped before it went into the woods. 

Went to grab the log and the log download tool shows none of the previous logs that should be on the flash. It looks like there is a file with a large numeric name, but it cannot be downloaded.

Any ideas?

I made this adjustment to the code and after a quick test flight everything checks out fine. Since installing the external mag my loiter has been near perfect and it continues to be so after this mod. I would not expect that enabling the temp compensation would produce any dramatic results but I am happier now it is enabled...

Ok, thanks

Ciao - Giuseppe

What is this GPS Hdop value? What should a normal value be? Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2016   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service