ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Tags: 3.0.1, ArduCopter, DIYDrones, Release

Views: 348787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rick,

Great points.  I need to run some more tests to be 100% sure, but I'd bet money this is what is happening.  When I had the issue, there was a pretty strong headwind and I had a long upwind leg in the mission plan. When changing course to this leg of the mission, he hex just kept tipping more into the wind trying to maintain ground speed and started losing altitude.   I caught it and switched into stable mode and recovered, but it would have plowed in if I had left it in auto mode.  The same thing would happen in stable mode if I tried to maintain that ground speed into a similarly strong wind.  The motors would be running full and there just wouldn't be enough power to maintain both speed and altitude.

After some additional thought, this outcome may be better than a fly-away if someone was in a really strong wind the the flight controller gave up on speed to maintain altitude.

I guess when you get to the edge of the flight envelope, there are no perfect software solutions for all circumstances.

Overall the team did a really remarkable job with the 3.0.1 release.

Bill

Bill-
Which controller do use with your brushless gimbal? I'm using the Martinez board and I'm having a hell of a time tuning it. Would you be so kind and share your PIDs?
Thanks

Hi Richard,
This is off topic for this thread, but I'll post it here as it may help others.  If we want to continue this discussion, it should likely be PMs or a different thread.

First, I'm using the RC Timer controller board.  Software version is 049 r156.  It works well, but the gimbal MUST be balanced very well and the wires to the accelerometer board must be routed so that there is very little drag on the gimbal.

I had driver issues and couldn't get the config software to run, so to tune it, I just kept changing the defaults in the code and uploading the code with Arduino.

Yes, I know.... this is dumb, but it was the quickest way to an end. :-)

Here's the current settings.  I've just got an original GoPro (1.0 I think?)

void setDefaultParameters()
{
  config.vers = VERSION;
  config.versEEPROM = VERSION_EEPROM;
  config.gyroPitchKp = 19000;
  config.gyroPitchKi = 25000;
  config.gyroPitchKd = 30000;
  config.gyroRollKp = 30000;
  config.gyroRollKi = 8000;
  config.gyroRollKd = 40000;
  config.accTimeConstant = 7;
  config.mpuLPF = 0;
  config.angleOffsetPitch = 0;
  config.angleOffsetRoll = 0;
  config.nPolesMotorPitch = 14;
  config.nPolesMotorRoll = 14;
  config.dirMotorPitch = 1;
  config.dirMotorRoll = -1;
  config.motorNumberPitch = 0;
  config.motorNumberRoll = 1;
  config.maxPWMmotorPitch = 32;
  config.maxPWMmotorRoll = 80;
  config.minRCPitch = -120;
  config.maxRCPitch = 120;
  config.minRCRoll = -30;
  config.maxRCRoll = 30;
  config.rcGain = 5;
  config.rcLPF = 20;              // 2 sec
  config.rcModePPM = false;
  config.rcChannelRoll = 0;
  config.rcChannelPitch = 1;
  config.rcMid = MID_RC;
  config.rcAbsolute = true;
  config.accOutput=false;
  config.enableGyro=true;
  config.enableACC=true;
  config.axisReverseZ=true;
  config.axisSwapXY=false;  
  config.crc8 = 0;  
}

If you have the V3 of the board this thread might help, I had a hell of a time tuning it and getting it to even act normal but eventually I prevailed: http://garagepilots.com/forum/topics/goodluckbuy-gimbal-arrived-tod... 

Richard, also a bit OT here, but I've had success with "using around 40 PWM, my P's are quite low (5-6) and I's quite high (40-60), D's = 20-40"

Bonjour à tous

Besoin d'aide:

hier gros crash:cadre entière cassé ,gopro morte! quad détruit

pouvez vous m'aider a analyser les journaux

merci

daniel chapelat

Attachments:

raa la vache ca a du etre un sacre crash!!!!!

t as pas de compas externe donc je suis quasi certains que t as du avoir un probleme a ce niveau.

de plus ton antenne tx est proche de l antenne gps ce qui est LOIN d etre bon..dans quelle mode etais tu avant le crash?si c est en mode loiter ou une fonction gps tu peux etre sur que ca vient de ton compas ou bien un decrochage gps

t as combiens en compassmot?peux tu donner tes valeurs offset egalement?tu tournes sur quelle version?

Merci pour ces réponses,

je vole en auvergne avec V.3.0.1 qui a très bien fonctionner jusqu’à present

le Tx FPV n'était pas en service lors du crasch

je comprend pas ce qui c'est passé,et j'ai du mal avec Tlog

daniel

combiens as tu en compassmot?t etais en quel mode avant le crash?pour t aider on doit en savoir plus

re bonjour titeuf

j' étais en mode loiter

voici  mon compassmot

j ai aucune information avec ton compassmot la!!!!!!quel est ton resultat a la fin de la procedure?cette valeure est en pourcentage.

je suis quasi certain que t as eu un probleme de compas ou de perte de signal gps..

as tu eu une reaction de la sorte

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW0hqzixwsk

From Google Translator :

Salut
Je ne pense pas que ce soit le bon journal.
Il n'alla pas plus de 1 mètre

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Drone Delivery Challenge, is here

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service