ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Tags: 3.0.1, ArduCopter, DIYDrones, Release

Views: 348529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok thanks alot. Will try ANGLE_MAX 30º tomorrow and come back with results.

Have a good one!

Michael,

So, I don't know where I was looking before, but MAX_ANGLE doesn't actually exist.  I'll keep looking through my parameter file, but perhaps I saw this in something Randy was going to introduce down the road that isn't readily available yet.  

Sincerest apologies for the confusion here, but hopefully I find something in the next little bit, or someone else has an idea on limiting the angle/speed of your copter in Stabilize.  Alternatively, you can chase down the dual-rate idea from above, too..

knocked down ANGLE_MAX from 45º(4500) to 30º(3000) and wow so much better. At least for me this is so much smoother feeling. Thanks Josh Welsh for this tip!

I think this should be a good place for any noob to start when they are configuring their quad. Stabilize and althold are much more tolerable with the limit of tilt angle to 30º instead of 45º.

Ah good deal Michael, glad that worked out the way you wanted.  I put mine up to 80 :)

Hi 

I'm looking for that "Angle_Max" and i can't find it. I on the APM planner 2.0.14 on Mac.

The only Angle Max I have is MNT_ANGMAX_PAN/ROLL/TILT  but that's for the gimbal.

Josh there is no MAX_ANGLE but ANGLE_MAX exists and i already changed it from 4500 to 3000 :)  

Ah ha!  Good find, thanks.  Sorry about the unintentional dyslexic moment there

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I'm unable to find...

I've got a copter that in Stabilize requires one throttle setting to hover, but in Acro requires just a tiny bit more.  Is there a setting I can tweak to be able to maintain the same PWM-output to "Throttle" between the two modes, or is this a deeper tuning issue between Stab and Acro?

My THR_MID is set to 444 and my TRIM_THROTTLE is 531.  I thought about getting these two values closer together but I know my copter hovers just under half (which is why I set THR_MID to 444, per watching the Tuning window in MP) and I thought we weren't supposed to alter TRIM_THROTTLE as this is calculated live.  Maybe I just suck it up and adjust THR_MID to match?  

Anyways, appreciate any input!  Throttle params in the attached jpg..

Hay Josh,

The only difference between Acro and Stabilize is the Angle Boost. Angle Boost increases the throttle as you tilt the copter so you don't have to increase the throttle. What you may be feeling is that has you move around a little you need slightly more throttle in Acro because you don't have this compensation. I suspect that it is just something you need to get used to.

As for THR_MID and TRIM_THROTTLE. TRIM_THROTTLE is updated as the flight continues and increases as the battery runs down. If you want to set THR_MID correctly, fly through about 1/3 to 1/2 of a battery then have a look what TRIM_THROTTLE and setTHR_MID to that value.

Thanks Leonard..

Maybe I do a video, because I can get in to a stable hover in Stab, flip to Acro, and the copter will noticeably spin the motors down a tad and as a result of course, descend.  The exact opposite is true when going from Acro to Stab - you'll hear the motors kick up and the copter will start ascending.  This is certainly more true in the beginning of the battery than the end, but still noticeable at the end as well.  I think I may move my THR_MID up a bit just to see if there is a difference.  I'll get the gopro ready and have a go, and report back.  Appreciate your feedback!

I'll also make note of the two settings half way through to see how they vary..

Hi Josh,

A video and the log of the flight with motor logging turned on would be great. I just checked the code and confirmed that if the copter is PERFECTLY level then the throttle doesn't change. The problem is I doubt it is perfectly level so you will generally see a slight change in throttle setting.

There could always be something else though. But with the logs I see exactly what angle boost is and if the basic throttle setting is changed. So even if you just send me a log of a flight where you do this I can have a look to make sure it is just because it isn't perfectly level.

Chat soon,

Leonard

Alright Leonard, here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6zzlitKHMk

Also attached is the .log from that run.

Attachments:

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service