hey i am planing on buying the ArduCopter 3DR and i would like to know a couple of things

A. how stable is it

B. do i need to buy anything else

C. what specs should the li-po be

D. if the 880 KV motor was designed for a 12x45 prop. why is there no option for that prop when adding it to the cart?

Tags: li-po, motor, prop, quad

Views: 593

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok i think i may have posted this in the wrong section

From a noobs PoV

A) It is very stable (remember, I'm a noob so it might be rubbish? ;)  I can hover it in front of me and trim my eyebrows with the props. has to be windless though. I can stab the throttle and it climbs without any oscillation. I can then close the throttle and it falls like a stone. Arrest the fall and there is a slight wobble as it sorts things out but fine.

B) You need a radio and batteries. A few spare props would not go amiss.

C) I have 4 2200 11.1V (3S) 25C (35 burst) and I can get about 12 minutes of flight out of them. less if I am being silly.

d) No idea who you buying form...

A. that is good to know. i plan on putting a camera on it once i learn to fly

B. yer i just brought the Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter

C. ok i will have a look for them on HK

D. i want to buy it from the Diy Drones store (if you go here you can see what i am talking about https://store.diydrones.com/ArduCopter_3DR_Quad_KIT_Electronics_p/k...)

Not knocking DIYDrones store and don't know the props to hand but I found buying 10 cheap props was a bargain for learning. You, and I stand corrected here, might be better off buying lots of cheap ones of fleabay. 

If you are new to it all, why not stick with stock. I have to replace two of my motors after numerous crashes (one was torn from frame :( ) So when you know you're better, get the more expensive things.

As for camera,  I taped a point and shoot to mine (all stock kit) which weights about 300-400g (yes, it's old AA powered thing) and it handled it fine. Flight was a bit different but it lifted it without an issue

i was just re-reading your post. are you saying you need to use 4 li-pos for one fly?

No, but I have 3 charged while using the 4th. As I fly then I can charge the flat ones. Flight is 10 minutes per lipo.

Turnigy do a 2=1 deal which is why I got them.

Next buy will be for the 5500mAh though - longer fly time.

ok good to know. so do you think this would do? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14723__Turnigy_3000mAh_4...

No comment on it other than it has to be better than my 3S 2200.

Only drawback I can think of is charge time. Most chargers can only hand 5A / 50W (Well, my Turnigy is like that).

It would not be able to charge at 5A because that would be 72W. 50W (Charger max wattage) /14.1V (Voltage of your battery) = 3.5A. As your battery is a 5AH you are looking at about 1:30 to charge it? That’s a long time to hold up a charger for a battery that only offered 20 minutes of flying.

I have two chargers which each charge a battery in 30-40 minutes so unless you buy lots of batteries and a really large charger, you’ll be sitting on the bench for a while.

My drawback is I have to land every now and then to swap batteries.

Some advantages:

Not all bad, you can fly an unmanned mission for much longer than I could. A bonus.

All of the above is theory, in practices, it might be quite different. Someone with experience might come and correct me ;)

ok thanks for the help i will get two of those li-po's with the Turnigy Accucel 6 Balance Charger.

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Drone Delivery Challenge, is here

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service