Hello.

I'm starting this discussion since there's a lot of confusion and lack of knowledge about PID settings and control theory, so, you can find here a table with several different frames, multycopter types and firmware versions in order to let you start flying and tuning your copter. Be aware that this are not rigid values. Each person has it's own configuration and flying preferences, but, if you have an identical configuration, you may start using those values and tune them for yourself. If you'd like to share your configuration, specs and settings, as well as flying tests, weather conditions and videos, I'll try to keep it up to date.

Thanks.

Ok, I have inserted a googledocs file, never worked with this before :) It looks easy, here's the link

Tags: arducopter, configuration, multicopter, pid, pid settings, quadcopter, settings, tuning settings

Views: 10689

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Basically covering your face and hands is a must, then anything else is a bonus. I'm lucky as I have full motorbike gear - as demo'd here, helmet, gloves and jacket.

Don,

Many thanks, wow, just read the article, even i could understand it. super for guys like me who are just a beginners  

Don, I'm not a control expert, I know what excessive RATE P do for example, as well as excessive THROTTLE P to my quad, but not in a general way, so, I thought I gather experiences and settings from different users to provide a starting ground for beginners and even as an option for those who are flying identical configurations but want a more stable bird today and a more agressive one tomorrow.

Hi Rui, It's a good starting point for sure with people with similar setups and conditions for sure!

I'm working on a document for fine tuning that goes one step at a time, by flight mode that people can tune their own copter with. Basically pulling together information from the aeroquad link I came across, the flight mode tuning tips from the wiki (like this, this and this) and some of the tips from this.

Ive only just started my flying but here are mine Rui. I added some items below not on your sheet so maybe you can add them.

Board: AMP1

GCS: MP1.1.29

Firmware: 2.2b4

Quad X8 (coaxial 2 motors per arm)

3300mAh 4C or 5000mAh 3C

Droidworx ADR Quad Standard, (72cmx72cm across)

Flight weight 2.4kgs

Motors 880kv

8 Props 12x4.5

ESC 30A Jdrones

APM power supply. 5V, 3amp switching regulator (SVR3 Tahmazo)

Sonar XL-EZ0 (MB1200)

Declination:  -0.5899

Roll/Pitch Stab: P = 3.8, I = 0.02,  IMAX = 40.0

Roll/Pitch Rate: P = 0.155, I = 0.00, IMAX = 3.0

Yaw Rate: P = 0.130, I = 0.00, IMAX = 50.0

(I dont see Rate D ?)

Loiter: P = 1.0, I = 0.038, IMAX = 30.0

Stab Yaw: P = 7.500, I = 0.010, IMAX = 8.0

NAV WP: P = 2.198, I = 0.148, IMAX 30.0, m/s = 6.0

Throt: P = 0.500, I - 0.00, IMAX = 3

Allt Hold: P = 0.4, I = 0.01, IMAX = 3.0

ACRO Roll/Pitch : P = o.155, I = 0.0, IMAX = 15

Cross Track: Gain = 100.0

Following is my finding so far. Keep in mind I have not flown in no wind conditions yet. First round of flights were in 15klm to 20klm wind and second round of  flights were in 5 to 8 kmh wind. I suggest wind speed be added to test data on your sheet.

Stabilize/Simple works ok but need more testing. Yaw wanders around more than I would thought it would

RTL is slow and wanders . In the wind I wasn't patient enough to wait for it to land

Loiter sort of  holds but wanders a bit.

You won't have the rate D terms unless you are running the PIDT1 control structure which people are trying out.  Still not sure what the devs are going to implement in the next "official" release.  Stab D term is used with your setup, and it would be found in the parameter list.

Stabilize mode is the one that locks the heading to where you've yawed to.  It's like heading lock in helicopters, but works better.  Simple mode will yaw in the direction you are heading to.

Stability mode is supposed to lock your head.  If you lifted off heading forward, it will stay forward, unless you yaw it manually. Then it will yaw to where you want and then lock to that.  If it yaws without your manually doing it, then you need to adjust your yaw stability PI values.

ok, now i understand it, thanks Ellison. Ive not tried any modes without simple yet as i was worried about having enough to control with Pitch, Roll and Throt. Next time I will give stab without the simple mode and see how it works.

Here is the youtube clip form yesterday where the  motors are making strange whirring noises. Sorry about the out of focus, but it was the sounds I was interested in others opinions.

http://youtu.be/vGw1Vdhw2M4

If I want to make the throttle not so sensitive I assume I can do this by lowering the P in throttle, or should I use a setting in the RC transmitter? What are the pros n cons?

In my copter, I only notice change in mantaining altitude when tuning throttle P, the throttle input from the radio doesn't seem to be affected. I think you can adjust the curve of throttle on your radio, maybe it's not configured for linear, and if it's expo, you will notice stronger responses at lower throtlle positions and as it grows, it sort of softens. Might be the response curve on your ESCs also, mine are set with a linear curve, but don't forget motors are supposed to respond to disturbances like wind, the higher your STAB P is, the quicker and stronger that response will be, more "agressive", if you lower it, the copter will act lazy responding, wich in wind will lead to not responding immediatlly and the copter may be washed away untill you bring it back.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service