I have read the ArduCopter online manual and it would be really difficult to build from the available material if you had the complete kit.

For example, one picture shows the motor wiring routed in the frame, another outside. The distribution board shows the ESC's mounted one way, another shows them tie wrapped to the frame. Nothing shows exactly how they should be connected. Very small example of tons of discrepancies.

I realize it is a work in progress, yada yada yada.

What is shipping with the complete unit? If it is different why isn't it available here.

If it isn't different I pity the fool that hopes to fly.

Views: 2467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Isn't this still DIY .. where is the fun if everything is idiot-proof and there is no room to trying to understanding how things work? :D

Now the real answer:
I think I read somewhere that Jani is going to up grade the docs and video online. And now that 200 ppl got their kit, I think there will be a lot of people willing to help on the forums and posting build logs online.

Btw: here is mine...
http://feeds.feedburner.com/ArducopterBuildingLog
I won't probably start working on it before Xmas, but still
you know what?
i build my arducopter with nearly no documentation
guess what? it's working without problems
Sorry to say that, but Sebastian, you might be a super cool DIYer and code, but you don't understand nothing about what the opensource is really about.
You have usual RTFM of the early Linux adopters, and that is the reason why Linux is still a super niche market despite the fact that it is much better then Windows or Mac.
Except that most of the times you answer with a RTFC (where C means code).

Your answers it like if Messner said to someone that is trying his first steps on a mountain: "He man, where is the problem? I climbed Everest alone, without Oxygen, 30 years ago, and you cannot even climb an easy 3rd grade climb without someone telling you where to put your man and feets".

Simone
:) Some can get a long with little instructions based on their previous knowledge and can assume how things probably should be wired. Others will fail on stuff that some would think is obvious how to accomplish. Such as "connect the power cable from the reciever to the APM". Simple for many. Some can´t even tell 5V from GND and even what polarity means in the first place, but still wants to build their copter. They could mix things up to the point of hw failure. So it takes a while to accomplish a manual that anybody could follow reliably without any risk of misinterpretation. I still think the ArduCopter team is in a good state with their guides given it is still early days of distribution and mostly (knowledgeable) enthusiasts are customers so far.
i just wanted to point out that you won't get everything noob safe, you need to try out a few things
if the ESC is mounte parallel to the arms or not, what is the difference (one question he asked)

if the motor wires go through the arm or on the arm.. no comment...

i mean do you ask how to paint the copter because it's red in one picture and yellow in the other one?

sorry but if somebody don't understand this, he shouldn't attempt to build up an complex UAV
I had no problems either. I also work with robots. 14 foot tall real industrial robots. I have forgotten how many languages I have written code in.

"This KIT is a DIY kit, to assemble it you need to have basic soldering skills to solder ESCs cables/Connectors, Power distribution PCB and it's connectors, basic mechanical skills and knowledge to build the whole frame."

Doesn't sound hard, does it? It is far from reality. The skill level needed based on what is supplied is going to leave many angry customers out there. The "Noobs" spend there money with the expectation that noob skill levels are all that are required.
We must remember that this is a DIY site, not Walmart Online.
Dean, fair points, and I appreciate the feedback. Please leave comments on the pages in the wiki where you find problems. It doesn't really do much good here, since the developers who are working every day on those wiki pages won't read it.

You ask: "What is shipping with the complete unit? If it is different why isn't it available here."

I don't know what those sentences mean. Could you try to rephrase?
He is probably asking "What kind of instructions are shipping with the complete unit?".
None. ArduCopter, like all DIY kits, uses web-based documentation.
hey sry to post this question here, i didn't where else to post it

i'm planning on ordering the Pre-tested kit and i have a few questions on the specs

1) what does it mean by radio and IMU calibration is needed

2) what does it mean by + flight config as default

3) once i put every part of the kit together and connect it to my transmitter (Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware) it will be flying correct

4) are the Arduino IDE and the Arducopter Configurator programs tested with the boards as well, because in previous times, i had A LOT of trouble with the Arducopter configurator program becuase it just wouldn't connect to the board and i have tried every solution i could find

5) is the arducopter code that is recently released compatible for autopilot mode as well?

sorry for so many questions, i'm still trying to learn a lot and i'm using the arducopter with live gps transmission for a project, so i would like to know everything about it before i order it, just so that i don't make any mistakes
1) You do that as part of the setup process
2) Quads can fly two ways, with one of the arms facing forward ("+") or in an X configuration
3) Yes, although you'll need a battery, too
4) As long as you're using Windows, you should be okay
5) Not quite sure what you mean, but waypoints will be added in the next few weeks.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service