Edit: Success - http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/it-works-fully-automated-parach...

I want to try this with my quad and see if and how it works.

Here's my waypoint list:

Basically takeoff to 6m (will actually take off the ground myself as AC v2.7.1 doesn't seem do the takeoff).

Then fly to a close waypoint at 10m alt, then to a further waypoint at 60m alt, loiter for 5 secs, release the chute, loiter for 5 secs, descend to an interim waypoint at 30m, descend further to a closer waypoint at 15m and RTL from there. This is in a fairly open area and the drop will be about 60-70m from the takeoff. May change the waypoint positions if there's a bit of wind.

Does that order & logic look about right?

Views: 7998

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would imagine the easiest way to shut the system down would be to supply the APM vis a mosfet switch, this could be controlled directly from the RC side. All systems stop, then parachute deployed after a small delay.

Don't really need a controlled safe landing (too complicated), just some kind of drogue to slow decent would be good. then again most of my crashes have been into earth or water, and damage has been confined to bent arms, easily straightened in a vice. Hitting concrete would not be so kind...

Any thoughts on having something lifted off the ground not under its own power having it release itself once it hits a certain height?

Darren, once we can get this to work properly then you could climb to a waypoint at a certain height (or if it's really high then stepped waypoints) and when it reaches the correct waypoint and height the servo would release the glider or whatever you want to drop.

Perfect.  thanks Graham!  How high can the GPS work?

Not sure but some posts here have indicated the the new uBlox 6 is specced for 50,000 meters (164,000 feet), the cheap Mediatek's from what I can glean max is about 10,000m (32,000ft).

So If I am going to read at 100,000 feet activate the servo I would need the uBlox 6?

Theorectically, yes

Do you know where on here I could get good information about programming and setting up an autopilot for a glider that is unpowered?

Not really, you just have to ask/browse around here or experiment, might be worth flying the glider with power until it's flying well and then drop it from height.

V2.65 HIL Flightgear simulation is working very well, here is a simple mission file that tests the DO_SET_SERVO and DO_JUMP commands. Load it into the APM and watch the CH6 output in 'Flight | status', when the plane reaches waypoint 2 CH6 switches from 1200 to 1800 for 1 second (to drop the 'chute) then back to 1200 and then repeats the mission 5 times.

I'm using the Cessna in FG and set ALT2PTCH_D to 5.000 and XTRK_GAIN_SC to 0.

Attachments:

BTW, ArduPlane v2.66 & v2.67 HIL don't work and neither does ArduCopter v2.8.1 HIL.

Only v2.65 HIL works currently

Thanks Graham, will have a bash at that tonight.

Been looking through the code, arduplane v arducopter. hard going when having little previous knowledge of this particular code, and it's very sparse on rem statements! Not good to change code without fully knowing the consequences.

From what I can see, do_set_servo is handled very differently in arduplane than it is in arducopter.

In arducopter, can see several things that don't add up! For instance no camera trigger or release options in the planner, yet channels can be set for this in config.

Set_servo and set_relay in MP mission planning, yet no option in +advanced config to enable any channel for these!

Think I have found an unrelated issue, which I will test out next...

If I find dead ends I'll just end up making a servo drive board that can be triggered from whatever commands do work, for instance, will have a look at lighting on/off option for starters...

Either way, I think the fault you posted is valid and needs to be high on the to do list...

Peter

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service