Hello hardware folks,
So I have what I believe to be a hardware problem with my baro alt and compass. My baro altimeter will only ouput zero, confirmed in CLI mode and my compass will only output zero, also confirmed in CLI mode. Both chips have power, 4.8V to compass, 3.3 to baro alt. They both used to work, and suddenly, no more. I compiled code with arduino, positive I am not using HIL mode. Any ideas where I should stick the iron :)
What code are you using?
Chris, thanks for the fast response.
For kicks I unsoldered the magnetometer, then the baro alt started to work. At least it responds and gives output in the CLI test mode. Upon resoldering the magnetometer I still get an output of zero.
Heading: 0, XYZ: 0, 0, 0
Not sure what the XYZ 000 means.....
bad news, i apparently fried the pads off the compass when desoldering, so theres no way it getting put back on correctly, so I guess no testing until I can get a new one. must be more careful next time. I will report tomorrow whether the baro alt is actually functioning correctly or not.
update: the altimeter, after removing the compass works great, altitude hold included. I did fry my compass pulling it off, but I think I know what the problem was in the first place. I noticed a tiny short from solder splatter across two pins of the IC closest to the pin header on the compass. I will never know if that was the real culprit, but it would be a good bet I suppose. I solder around that open circuit board all the time, I am just lucky it didn't get the oil pan....