Has anyone thought of hacking up one of the cheap laser rangefinders by Bosch or Stanley?
Bosch's DLE 50 only weighs about 180g including it's own batteries (could be removed and powered by onboard powersupply).
I am thinking of getting one of the units and seeing if I can somehow mod it to use it as an altimeter.
Thoughts/suggestions?

Tags: Alitmeter, DIY

Views: 2465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-dle-50-laser-range-finder-p6126

This website states a typical measurement time of <0.5S up to a maximum of 2S along with a promotional video of it in use.

God knows what they package it in that results in a 2Kg shipping weight though...
Any progress with altimeter?
Can you send HiRe pictures of what is inside ?
Not so much atm.
Pursuing a company about some laser time of flight modules with raw serial output.
Absolute raw readings that is, timings and or calculated distances in plain text.

This is critical because then we can filter the results as we see fit.
Particularly because these other range finders try to get a stable reading..
We don't need nor want a stable reading, we want to know how far away the ground is at any point in time lol.
Have you had any luck with the concept. I am looking for a laser time of flight module for something unrelated to drone aircraft. Have not been able to find any modules. Don't need output in engineering units, but some sort of digital output would be nice. Analog would be useful too.

What altitude range are you targetting?

I have a HILTI PD 30 time of light device. It should do 200m, but performance is more reliable below 50m :-(

They have some new models like the PD 40 which is specified to 200m. Specs:

Accuracy ± 1 mm
Laser 635 nm, Class 2 (IEC 825-1), Class II (FDA 21 CFR)
Measuring range 0.05 m - 200 m
Measuring functions Single and continuous measurement
Calculation function +
-
Area
IP protection class IP 54
Battery type 2 x AA
Operation time with Alkaline battery  10000 measurements
Dimensions (LxWxH) 120 x 55 x 28 mm
Package content Laser range meter PD 40, Hand strap, 2 AA batteries, Battery compartment key, Soft pouch, Manufacturers certificate, Operating instructions

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service