Hi all, 

I'm new here to DIY drones forum and would like to introduce myself and my newly accomplished quad.

Here is a quick video demonstration of my theorized angle quadcopter. I've seen how people have tried to make tilt rotor multicopters, but i've always read they end up being inefficient and heavier due to the extra mechanics of the frame and they just don't fly very well.

Note: I haven't done a whole lot of research about other peoples tilt rotor quads, I don't know if some one else out there has built one like mine before or not; if there is, correct me if I'm wrong. For the little research I've stumbled upon over the years, i've never really seen a quad fly like this one does. 

So anyways, here is my theory put into practice. What I've noticed with other tilt rotor quadcopters out there; the designer does not make the gyro board tilt along with the rotors. On my angle quad, I tilted and fixed the rotors to 30 degrees and made a mount to hold the Naza V2 at a 30 degree angle inline with the rotors. It's kinda like tricking the gyro into thinking the quad chassis is level, but instead, you have this wicked looking tilted hovering machine, but the whole main purpose of the tilt is so when you give the quad forward flight, the chassis levels out and reduces drag for fast forward flight. 

This is just a test bed, I threw it together just to see if it would fly (and YES it flies excellent!) I built the frame out of Trex-450 carbon tail booms and some cut down nylon tee fittings I found at home depot.

The electronics are out of my DJI Flamewheel 450. Naza M V2 with GPS and PMU, All DJI motors and ESCs along with carrying a 5000mah 4s 20c battery.

The simple carbon frame saves ALOT of weight compared to the Flamewheel 450 frame. In manual mode, the quad will hover at 1/4 throttle. This leaves more room for video equipment and gimbals.

This quad is super fast in manual mode. In GPS or ATTI mode, you can just tell its a lot more efficient, but because of the throttle and tilt limits in GPS or ATTI mode, its not nearly as fast, but the flight time should be longer because of the weight savings and reduced drag.

This is just the test chassis, Im going to make a really nice frame and install setup for this type of angle quad in the near future.

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/ulO8XGZaC90

Hope Y'all like it! -Daniel Warner

P.S. The Nylon Tee fittings from home depot are awesome! Super strong and they only need to be cut down and drilled out with a 1/2" drill bit to accept the Trex carbon boom. I scratched the carbon at the glue point and applied epoxy with micro balloons. The carbon will snap before the tee fitting does.

Link for 5/8 tee fitting http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-5-8...-483/100177874

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• what's your  max speed?

This reply was deleted.

Activity