Ok guys, with all the people waiting on APM2 and all the exciting new alpha and beta releases of APM firmware coming, I think many people are starting to chomp at their bits, a little.  

To that end, I've opened up this discussion for all those with complaints.  As I've joined the Dev Team, and not at a productive stage yet, I'll monitor this discussion, and relay things to the others on the Dev Team.

These could be both hardware or software, or just general rants and raves!

Hope everyone takes advantage of this!  Maybe we'll all learn some things in the process.

Just wanted to add this response from Chris Anderson:

Please just contact sales@3drobotics.com and inquire about the status of your order. They are not necessarily shipped in order. For example, the unsoldered ones are shipped first, because they're faster to put together. Then soldered with GPS, then soldered without GPS (or maybe those two in reverse order, I can't remember). There are approximately 50 going out each day and the team tells me that the backlog should be over by Mon/Tues of next week. 

I agree, please use this discussion for Rants and Raves.  Order issues should be directed to 3DR directly.  I think you will get better response there.

Views: 13010

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't you think hybrid electric cars are cool, and their going to save the world?

I love the idea of hybrids, i prefer all electric cars!

However I dont like where the power comes from for the hybrid and electric cars, ie coal powered stations.

We're definitely heading in the right direction. But until we can charge all our devices with renewable energy, we're just sh*tting on someone elses doorstep...

Well, if you can believe the power generation companies, burning coal to generate the electricity is better than each individual car burning gasoline.  Here in Quebec, we have several Hydro generators making more power than we can use ourselves.  The main problem is with energy storage and release.  If we could efficiently store the massive amounts of energy generated by the hydro plants, the earth's energy needs would be fulfilled many times over.  The potential energy in the water has been built up over billions of years.  It's even more power there than fossil fuels, where the energy has been built up over on millions of years.

Actually as a fellow Quebecer, our hydro-electric dams already have the 'perfect energy storage system'.  It rains/snows, the dam water level rises.  Then depending on the consumer demand, they can let more or less water through the turbines to generate electricity (it's fairly dynamic).

PS where are you located?

Jonathan, I'm in Montreal.  The problem with hydro is the amount of upfront environmental impact.  The land was flooded, destroying lots of forest, and dislocated many people. I doubt that Quebec will be able to build more dams today, with all the environmental awareness people have now.

I prefer Biodiesel to gain my power from waste.  I would focus on a balanced build-up of biodiesel, natural gas and hydro power while cutting doown on oil, but what good does it do to ramp down on oil and coal in the west, then have the east ramp up for an advantage when we just end up having to use their oil.  Get the entire world on a new course, and their will be less resistance.  I can power my own neighborhood using renewables (including my GCS server that requires 3K watts to run), but not using anything being pushed by the media.  Common sense is the key.  I'm not big on global warming, but being a good steward makes sense, and {rewable vs nonrenewable } should never even be a question to someone with good sense.  Just a question, but if i open up a television or computer power supply, the capacitor will hold quite a high charge for years after the device is powered off and unplugged...You mean to tell me no one can figure out storing electricity from hydro power?   Release should be the only problem (I am in no way an expert on any of this.  I just think things up and hand them off, which is a viable business of its own. lol)  I am just upset my plane doesnt have a diesel engine yet like all of my vehicles.

It's not that we can store electricity.  It's a question of storing it in high enough density for the weight of materials used and still be able to access it when needed.

Good point Gareth.  And I don't supposed Sefrica has much access to hydro-electric? ;)  Do you guys mostly burn coal?  Nuclear?  Natural gas or oil?  Either way, due to energy conversion efficiencies, I don't think electric cars will ever achieve anything until solar power is a good enough to fuel them.

Hybrid cars are even worse because they give people a false sense of having done something good.  

Fact is, they cost about 2-3X what it would cost to build the same vehicle which achieves the EXACT same milage simply with a small efficient motor.

Well, I leased my hyrbid, and it was a time when the governments were giving significant rebates.  Essentially with those rebates, I got back money from a car I didn't even own.  From a monetary standpoint, it ends up the same.

I'm only joking about saving the world with it, of course.  I got it because I thought it was cool, and was driving a lot, so it would save me gas.

As for solar versus hydro or fossil, the real issue is energy extraction and storage.  Even fossil fuels, can be used in a environmentally friendly way.  We are currently burning it and wasting it away.  If we were to more slowly extract the energy stored in fossil fuels, at exactly the rate we need to use it to power our equipment, it would just as environmentally friendly and last just as long as any other source.  We have plenty of power, there is no shortage of it.  There's a shortage of will power, and intelligence and a excess of greed and laziness.

Releasing the CO2 that was stored in the earth over millions of years will NEVER be environmentally friendly.  I'm not a big fan of hydroelectric either.  Flooding huge tracts of land.  Nuclear is risky.

Solar, or energy reduction is the only thing that is truly "green".

I completely agree with your last point, however.

Those big snaky genertor things in the sea are awesome, they will save us. Especially the new waterboatman inspired one - its 6x more efficient and is storm proof.

I can't for the life of me remember what its called....

Tidal generators?

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service