Does 3DR Controller Use/Have GPS

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if or how I can access GPS information from my 3DR Controller?  I know it is possible to access GPS information from the Drone but is it possible to do so from the Controller also?

I have not been able to find valid information online yet so thanks in advance.

Joe

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Solex" ,of course it can follow you, you can have a friend(s) run a small(/free) Solex app on his phone (in pocket)  - then you will be able to command solo to follow those friend(s) while making great shots.

It also has a lot more features than the original Solo app.

• Andrey,

I have been working on my application and I am having problems still getting GPS from my mobile device.  My question is for the 3DR solo what mobile app do you recommend to get the Solo drone to follow-me preferably on an iPhone or iPad?

I have been trying to use the 3DR mobile app and it seems it keeps on crashing.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

• both your controller, and you phone/tablet gets the position of the Solo using mavlink, likewise, the phone/tablet can share it's position to do a follow-me.   And yes, both are openly accessible to anything inbetween, including the controller which is a linux computer. 

• Hey Andre, to be more exact I am thinking about building a GCS companion or adding on to a GCS so I can plot on a map both where the drone is and where the controller is.

So my vision would be to have an external laptop and to use it to connect to the controller Solo network then to somehow communicate with the (controller/mobile device) and (solo drone) so I can retrieve GPS information from both of them.  I already know how to get GPS location data from the drone now I need to figure out how I can get GPS from the controller/mobile device.  My thought would be there has to be a way I just have not figured it out yet.

R

Joe

• "build an app to show the GPS of the mobile device"

I assume yo mean like make an android app that gets the GPS position on the android device you are using to run Solo/Solex application ?  - that does not require anything else than an Android SDK /code. 

If you need to interact with the Mavlink protocol (the one between the Solo<>Controller<>Phone(if running Solo/Solex))  - check out Dronekit, (google it) that is the framework you would get familiar with.

If the phone/tablet runs other GCS, just look up mavlink, you'll find it on the standard UDP port 14450  - and google mavlink protocol.

• Hi Andre,

Thanks for your reply.  Do you know how I can get GPS from the controller/mobile device or know of any resources online that might have information about this?

I am trying to build an app to show the GPS of the mobile device/controller.  I already can get GPS of drone but I have not yet figured out the mobile device/controller yet.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

• both your controller, and you phone/tablet gets the position of the Solo using mavlink, likewise, the phone/tablet can share it's position to do a follow-me.   And yes, both are openly accessible to anything inbetween, including the controller which is a linux computer. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity