Does the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) fairly represent us?

Does the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) fairly represent recreational UAV activities?

The problem as I see it is that the AMA managed to get their rulemaking "authority" into the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Senate Bill, Section 607(g).  

Specifically in the preamble:

In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association that represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground; develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions, government entities and other  aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members.

Since the only "nationwide community-based organization" is the AMA, they become the de-facto rulemakers for recreational UAV use.  In fact, the quote above is similar to the AMA mission statement.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, I don't think they do.  The recent total miss on the new FPV/UAV code of conduct total miss is evidence of that.

I think we (well, you, I'm not in the US) need to form your own body.

I agree. I gave up on the AMA long ago.

I agree!

I have send a email to AMA to tell them that I won't be renewing my membership next year without a real look at their new FPV/UAV rules. The VLOS just doesn't work for us.

The buddy requirement for FPV is what got my attention.

I really think that the AMA is intimidated by the advanced technology of autopilots like the APM.

The organisation was formed and is there, its called RCAPA and had a seat at ARC 1.0 The FAA have seen their ops manual.

You are going to get airworthy standards from ASTM F-38 and that might not be a barrel of laughs. BLOS won't happen without those being in place.

Crazy times over there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

DIY Drones Monthly
Newsletter

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2016   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service