Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Droidworx CX4 airframe a few weeks ago.  I have been researching and contemplating this build for a while now and am really taking my time...

I already have a Gaui500X which I am setting up (Arducopter) for a friend who says he doesn't have time to set his own one up.   Plus he's not that experienced with electronics (soldering etc).  I have so far had really good luck with the GAUI.  I have recently set up flight modes in my radio and plan to test these more this weekend.  

I also have some extra motors and speed controllers from udrones which I will be putting in a 450x airframe with no fancy electronics which I will use to get better at flying these multis.

I have been flying model airplanes for years and have flown a little helicopter, just not enough to consider myself any good, but I don't usually get too mixed up as long as I keep the copter low and close...  To assist in my transition to multi's, I bought a used copy of RealFlight 5.5 and am using the multi they have there to get my reactions intuitive like they are when flying planes.  

Views: 4314

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got yucked away from the traditional ESC, and stated looking more seriously at the BL-2.0 ESC and quad distribution board.  I will setup the ESC to use PPM, so I have to wire them for this:
http://mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/BL-Ctrl_2.0
The price seemed a bit high, but I started thinking I should put together 2 drones. One to test with (cheaper) and one to use when I want to do some pro quality video. I decided to take the cheaper udrones ECS & Motors and order a cheaper quad airframe which I will put those motors on. This will be good to have a fun drone and a business drone. 
As far as controls, I am using Arducopter telemetry:
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/
I ordered some new motors which are better for a mid/heavy load which is what the CX4 is for (or at least I like a bit of overkill on my models and powerful motors are part of that)... The new motors I ordered are made specifically for audio visual applications which is cool:
http://montorc.com/M2814Shaft.aspx
For the GAUI500X I am setting up for a client, I have to add a camera as well, both FPV and HD Video (Canon Powershot or something similar). I found a really nice landing gear/fixed camera mount from drones vision which I may order next week. I will take shots of the GAUI also tomorrow. Here is the link to the gear/camera mount.  Right now I have the payload mount on the way and will use that until my buddy coughs up some more cash:
http://www.dronesvision.com/sto-s-50...otography-fpv/

Here are some CX4 with the AVROTO motor's mounted. 

Attachments:

The MK BL2 ESC is all wired up and almost ready to drop in the electronics (adrucopter).

Attachments:

Here are some painted shots of the CX4.  For some reason the front body mount thumb screw is about 3-4mm shy of meeting it's nut on the upper portion of the camera mount body panel..  I guess I will just shim it (body mount lip with nut) with washers, but I would like to know others experiences?? 

I hope to use this CX4 as a prototype to show people what a good multi can do. I will never fly this CX4 in the US, I am moving to Mexico next month!  A lifetime of living in the US (Century City, LA), while still keeping an eye on the world, has left me with a negative feeling about what's going on in the US these days.  Really since 9/11/2011, and I refuse to keep quiet and get in line.  It's a big world, and with the NDAA kicking in 3/1/2012, I am outta here! 

Attachments:
The front body acrew on my CX4 is fine. No problem. Are the top/bottom halves overlapping as they should???

Yes, they are overlapping.  I just don't get it.  There's kind of no way to mount the plates to make the lip closer to the thumb screw..  I am so nuts, I refuse to shim the CX with silver washers so I am waiting to find black ones before I do anything...  

I read and re-read the instructions about a dozen times.  The first couple times I got the plates together, I had to disassemble everything and do it again, because the instructions weren't that clear.  I also had a buddy blabbing in my ear which made me extra frustrated;-)  Any help before I shim it is appreciated (I attached an image of the front lip I am talking about)??  I plan to get the washers this week. 

Attachments:
That looks about right to me, email Droidworx in NZ and see if it's a known issue. They are very helpful.

Well, I didn't have much to do this Christmas, so I picked up a Parrot AR Drone to fly inside.  This toy is actually what got me looking at the market of multis.  A lot of people have been critical of me for choosing Arducopter, but I prefer to work within a community and really liked the potential I saw for Arducopter.  
Getting back the the Parrot AR, well, I had flown over a few fountains with fair luck, so I thought I would try another fountain I had never flown over.  Well, the sonar showed it's weakness in form of cutting all power to the motors, where I landed smack dab in the middle of the spout;-)  Fortunately I had my GoProH2 mounted to the ParrotAR, so that this costly mistake (1 main board, 1 engine $150), wasn't a total loss.
Here is the video of the fountain fail:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atIWhJ-CLA8&list=UUDnv_pQ_dAvZwg...

Here is the response I got from Droidworx today:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Caleb,

I cant really tell from the pictures but i think you need to place the 2 M3 x 5mm nylon spacers between the front body bracket and rails(see attached) to raise the bracket to its correct position. If you have done this then i will have to have a re-think.
Please let me know if you have any more concerns.
Regards
Tom
Attachments:

I am gonna add the two nylon washers and I think that will do it.  That looks like the ticket for me:)  
Thanks to Droidworx for a quick support response!

That did it!  The nylon washers were included with the kit, I just couldn't see them in the instructions.  Well, now I have a secure body!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2016   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service