Received my purple yesterday, just in time for Xmas ;) Connected it all to my quad and it all seems to work (radio input, sensors, xbee).
What I can't get to work right now is the arming of the ESCs. I can arm the APM and verified outputs 1-4 with a servo (raw/radio view shows 1-4 output going up when adding throttle). But because the ESCs do not arm the motors do not spin up.
When powering the system up the ESC play the short melody. This is normally followed by a beep for each cell and then a long beep. However this part does not happen right now. Once in a blue moon, ESC number 4 arms and spins.
I calibrated all 4 ESC manually and they arm properly when connected directly to the receiver. Also tried to calibrate them with a trim offset to make sure they take a higher signal as 0 throttle. The calibration through the APM does not seem to work. The light do the dance on the initial power-up. But the ESCs do not seem to get the high throttle signal on the second power-up.
Could it be that my ESCs do not like the signal from the APM? It worked with APM1, KK and multiwii...
For now I'm out of ideas. Any input is appreciated.
Chris does this pulse also happen on the old board? If not, then it may be worth a try since the esc's work fine with the old board.
We found the issue (a register wasn't initiated right) and will be pushing a fix with the next code rev.
Guys, the patched code is here, in zip form. It works fine for me, but then again I was never able to see this problem in the first place (except on a logic analyzer). Could you please load it and see if it solves the problem for you?
Remember to uncomment (remove the "//"s) in the APM 2 select line in APM_Config.h to load it on an APM 2:
// # define CONFIG_APM_HARDWARE APM_HARDWARE_APM2
Chris I tried loading the patched code. As you mentioned those are the steps I took and am using the correct relaxpatch version of Arduino.
I tried this at least 4 times tonight with the same result. The new patched code uploads fine. But then when I do a "level" from setup, it locks up at "init gyro." Please see the attached screenshot. Also, if I go to test "imu", it locks up at "init gyro."
As mentioned, I tried this 4 times with the same result. I also tried using mission planner because it downloads the same version it seems. Same results.
Now, if I go back and load 2.1, it doesn't lock up at level or imu test.
Here is the error I get from Mission Planner using 2.2b4 after I try to level from setup-
failed to level: ac2 2.0.37+ is required
I just tried it and it works fine. I think you're not letting the logs erase. It can take a minute or so. Open up the monitor window (checkbox on the MP help page) and you can see it going. Nothing will work until the logs are erased.
(This only happens when you're doing a significant code update)
I've now tried on three APM 2 boards and they all work perfectly with the latest code. Whatever your problem is, I think it's unique to your board/setup. Much has changed since 2.1, including datalogging code. Have you checked your dataflash card? Maybe it isn't pushed in all the way?
Erasing the dataflash should take a minute or more. On the screenshot you posted there weren't nearly enough "****"s. Makes me think you've got a dataflash issue.
Alright, I keep trying to resist going to sleep. But I decided I'll try one last time. This time it worked. I did let it sit for a good while. So apparantly that was it after all.
Next, will try the esc's. Fingers and toes crossed! If the esc's arm now, you will have made my week!
Great. Remember to calibrate your RC again before you test your ESCs tomorrow!
Now I have also tried the new patched code with the same result as others: Still no arm of all ESC at power on.
It is the first time I upload code to the APM but I think I got it to work since i now see this when I connect to it:
Init ArduCopter V2.2 b4
Free RAM: 1460
FW Ver: 114
But as I mentioned, no improvement for the arming issue.
For information I use the Turnigy Plush 18A v3.1. The radio has been recalibrated after the new version was installed.