Hello everyone!

UAV/quadcopter newb here. Although not a (complete) RC/microprocessor/programming newb.

Anyways, finally got all the parts needed and started assembling my arducopter this week, decided to go through all the motors and ESCs (to check and program them before assembly) and on the very last ESC i've hooked up to the receiver i got this:

http://diydrones.com/video/failing-jdrones-esc

The hiccups are at about 25% throttle. The jerky transition is at 50%. The fluctuations are at 75-100%. I'm pretty sure the issue is with the jDrones ESC, because:
1) i've tried other motors - same deal
2) i've tried this and other motors on other ESCs - works just fine
3) i've tried resetting it, as well as different timings - same deal
3) the ESC in question is practically soldered directly to the battery power - it's the closest one to the batt. wires on the PDB.

Will try resoldering the bullet connectors on the ESC as a last resort, although they seem solid enough and jiggling them about or pressing them doesn't create any changes in the motor behaviour.

And just as i was about to finally assemble the frame... *sigh*

Tags: ArduCopter, ESC, hiccups, hickups, jDrones, kickback

Views: 905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, got a response today.
Just a tiny update...

jDrones responded to the support ticket and are sending a replacement tomorrow, so yay! :)

Meanwhile, i've got two 30A Hobby Wing Pentiums which i'm going to hook up to the front and rear motor, while driving the left and right with the good jDrones ESCs.

The Hobby Wings have identical menus and settings, although the software (and hardware) quite obviously isn't exactly the same. Probably same OEM. They drive the jDrones' smaller outrunners noticeably more smoothly than the jDrones ones. I still have to check if the throttle curves / RPMs are comparable, but i'd say they are.

If the mix proves troublesome when i get to actual flight and PID tuning, i'll revert to all jDrones ESC configuration. Especially if it turns out the input of the HW Pentiums is too filtered / response too slow. If not, i might eventually switch the remaining two jDrones ESCs for 30A Pentiums.

How did the Hobby Wing Pentiums end up working out for you? I am debating whether or not to go with those over the jDrones ESCs.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service