Im wondering what the difference between "Home" location is compared to "RTL" location. Does the aircraft return to where I hand launch or the location of home?

Also if i have a triangular, or square pattern for that matter, how is the aircraft supped to behave when it gets to a waypoint? Does it circle the waypoint and then go to the next, or does it fly near the waypoint within the programmed radius and then to the next waypoint.

i flew a route yesterday and my aircraft's behavior was a bit odd. my aircraft did hit waypoints but not point to point. it was as thought it got lost in between waypoints and "hunted" for the next. it was a bit windy, in the range of 15+ mph so im not sure if this was a factor.

Can someone please explain to me how the aircraft should behave when flying routes so i note unexpected behaviours?

Thanks

Erik

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Home" and "Launch" mean the same thing. RTL means Return to Launch.  You can set it manually, but it's automatically set when you first get GPS lock at the field.

When the UAV gets within the pre-defined strike radius of a waypoint, that counts as a hit and it moves on the next waypoint. If it misses a waypoint, it will circle once to try to hit it again, then move on to the next one.

chris

then what is the purpose of putting a home location in the mission planner? is it ignored then?

thanks

erik

So you can plan your mission around it. It is reset to the exact launch place at the field. If you want, you can move it after that (to offset it a hundred feet away from a flying line, for example) using the GCS or Mission Planner.
ok makes sense. thanks for helping!
erik

chris

im still thinking about my earlier post above. please let me know if im thinking in the rite direction. last flight was windy so i attribut the "hunting" partly to wind. I also have the dual rate function switched off on my radio. i have programmed the servo throws to about 50% of max throw. do you think there may not be enough throw for the APM to provide proper guidance? should i increase throws on my transmitter side or adjust PID values?

Thanks

Erik

chris
im still thinking about my earlier post above. please let me know if im thinking in the rite direction. last flight was windy so i attribut the "hunting" partly to wind. I also have the dual rate function switched off on my radio. i have programmed the servo throws to about 50% of max throw. do you think there may not be enough throw for the APM to provide proper guidance? should i increase throws on my transmitter side or adjust PID values?

Also, does the addition of the pitot tube increase accuracy of APM flights?

Thanks
Erik
I'm not sure since I don't use dual rates myself. But it's easy to test. Turn off dual rates, recalibrate your radio in the CLI, and try again. If that doesn't make a difference, you can try turning up the P in your NAV PID.

Erik, 

Dual rates on your radio will have no effect on APM's navigation.  The behavior you describe is most likely due to a combination of the wind and poorly tuned PID gains.

Doug

I have not touched the PID gains as of yet. i had a nice flight yesterday, but im not sure if it was a "good" flight. I have a triangular route setup. my airplane will fly to the first point, circle to the right then go to the next point and circle to the right, and so on. to me, i think my plane should hit point one, turn left to the nexy point. my triangle is setup counter clockwise. im happy to say my plane did hit all 3 points then began to loiter. really cool to watch, but nervous at the same time hoping it would go as planned. i need to start tweaking the pid gains i suppose. its like the plane cannot maneuver quickly enough to get the proper heading for the next waypoint. it overshoots and then circles to establish the waypoint. make sense?

Erik 

Circling at a waypoint is due to not actually hitting the waypoint (within the waypoint radius).  I have some lengthy posts from about a year ago on tuning PID gains on ArduPilot which should be helpful.  I think some of that got into the manual(s).  I will also be doing a video on it in the next month or so - I've got several videos to do before that one though...
thanks doug
i will check the posts
erik

Hi ,did you ever make those videos im having a little issue with circling the waypoint as well  (or mot hitting it ) i think its the PID gains or the Waypoint radius .thanks

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service