GCS via USB instead of Xbee

Hello everybody!I have a question. Can I connect my ArdupilotMega to HappyKilmore GCS using USB cable instead of Xbee Wireless? I haven't Xbee yet, but I'd like to test how ground station works... Is it possible? If yes, what I need to do?Thanks in advance.Kirill

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, the solution appeared itself. My Xbee modules were delivered so quickly, so I had no time to test via usb without them.

Nevertheless, thank you, now I know that there is the other way of connection.

• Did you find a solution? I use my APM all the time with just 2 USB to serial connections. One for GCS data in and out and the other to fake out the GPS datastream.
  • Ok, thanks for info. Now the situation is clear. It is a little more complicated than I thought. I will either try to do it or will wait for my Xbees.
  • Yes, you can do that by changing

#define GCS_PORT 0 in APM_Config.h

but its actually suggested to use the telemetry port, even if you dont have xbees.

If you have a FTDI cable, make up a pigtail with the tx and rx (and optionally ground) connected to the telemetry port.

Very similar to a GPS to FTDI cable, but without the power.

• Probably what you are really asking is if you can use a usb to serial cable to connect AdrupilotMega to your computer directly instead of XBee? I am sure you can, using FTDI cable or similar device. I don't think that XBee API protocol and addressing is used. Any experts on this?

Roman

This reply was deleted.

Activity