Go pro camera near IR

Has anyone tried to remove the IR filter from their HD Hero camera? I wan to try and take near IR pictures with my Gopro but I am reluctant to crack it open without knowing if it has been done before.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Kiki Boy, 

The link is the description for GoPro Hero 5 black. I am doing for GoPro Hero HD (1st version without screen). The lens in GoPro Hero 5 can be opened with a screwdriver but in my case it's totally fixed. I have to cut it with dremel. So its totally different case while comparing with GoPro Hero 5.

Anyways thanks for your help and suggestions. However if you have any suggestions with GoPro Hero HD please let me know.

Thanks so much

Regards,

Suman

• No, you have to disassemble more

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4073340

• Do you mean to say to cut the lens from near the base of lens in order to open the lens( ie the lowermost part in this picture). But after i cut it which part is the IR filter. And after i cut the lens and take out filter should i glue it or what?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone with proper information please help. Can you tell me in detail. Your information is too general to follow.

Best Regards,

Suman Ghimire

kiki boy said:

It's quite simple : remove the ircut filter (glued back of the lens) and you get full spectrum

• It is the first (older) version of Gopro. GoPro Hero HD without screen.

Thanks in advance

Suman Ghimire said:

3691330302?profile=originalThe lens looks like this.Which part should i cut? Should i cut the lens with a dremel...but i am confused in which part. Can you give me a reference seeing the attached photograph of the lens.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. 
    kiki boy said:

It's quite simple : remove the ircut filter (glued back of the lens) and you get full spectrum

• 3691330302?profile=originalThe lens looks like this.Which part should i cut? Should i cut the lens with a dremel...but i am confused in which part. Can you give me a reference seeing the attached photograph of the lens.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. 
    kiki boy said:

• It's quite simple : remove the ircut filter (glued back of the lens) and you get full spectrum

• I dont think anyone is active in this particular discussion. I want to modify my gopro hero first version to full spectrum. I didnt find any useful information in the whole internet.

If anyone knows has done it before please help me.

Thank you 

Regards,

Suman

• Hello Neal,

Greetings from Nepal,

I was following your discussions.You mentioned you sucessfully modified GoPro Hero 1 to full spectrum. I am currently doing the same work. However, after i disassemble everything, i saw the lens is totally sealed and cannot open. Can you further elaborate on how to cut  and where to cut in the lens to remove IR filter.

(I would really appreciate if you share some photos or videos during the modification of Gopro Hero 1) 

Neal Pilger said:

Get an older GoPro. I have modified 3 HD versions and they only require the removal of 7 screws to get at the lens without modifying the front case, however, I recommend carefully cutting the front case around the lens (I used a dremel, but the plastic is so soft a nail file should also work) then simply twist it off. The les on the older models are sealed with wax, not glue, so much easier to deal with. Also, the IR blocking filter is screwed into place on the rear of the lens so is also easy to remove. Cutting the front lens trim off the front cover will serve well in refocusing the camera, as you will not need to take it apart time and time again to get it back into focus. What I did with mine, once properly calibrated was to use a little hot-glue and seat a filter mount around the lens. I do not think I would do the same on a 3+ but on a $50 HD it was worth the gamble. I've modded 3 this way and they all work great (well, sold 2, but will keep my eyes open for others on eBay).

• Thank you for that link. This seems like a very good camera for FPV + recording HD footage.

Pros:

1. Small
    2. Light (32g)
    3. Hackable
    4. Looks like it would be able to fit in a GoPro-compatible gimbal with some foam tape and zip ties
    5. Even easier to trigger from a flight controller than a CHDK-modified Canon
    6. $160

Cons/Potential Cons:

1. It may be more sensitive to vibration than a GoPro?
    2. It may not perform as well in low light?
    3. Requires 3.7V power

Is anyone using the HackHD that can comment on my speculative list of Pros and Cons above?

• Thank you Neal,

very interesting.
    Is there a way to make shots in manual mode with the gopro?
    Because in automatic mode, the gopro can adapt its settings to the areas of high emissivity or low emissivity and this can distort the image radiometry. Including the calculation of NDVI that requires shooting with a unique and constant setting during flight. Have you faced this problem or not?

This reply was deleted.

Activity