Help getting started with Arducopter for less then $700?

Hey,

This probably the wrong place for this topic, but I am a tech-ed teacher for a private school, and I just got approval to teach a four week summer class on "Ariel Engineering". I have the curriculum figured out for the first three weeks but have been looking for a project for the last week. Arducopter looks like a suitable challenge for the kids (9th-12th grades), the only problem is there is only $700 left over in the budget for this project.

I compiled the following list, but I feel as I can get it done cheaper. The only problem is there can only be minimal soldiering as we have very strict open-flame/heat-source rules (crazy, I know).

3DR Quad D Frame + Electronics Kit - $505 (No wireless data link, 3dr uBlox LEA-6)

APM 2.6 Set (external compass) - $239.98 (No Wireless Data Link, 3dr GPS uBlox)

Turnigy 4000mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack - $25.95 * 2

Turnigy 2S 3S Balance Charger. $11.61

Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver - $53.82

Is this suitable for a basic Arducopter setup? I would just like to have it fly to a couple of waypoints. Is there anyway to get this sub-700? I will be paying for shipping myself and would rather not have to go over anymore. Would this be able to be completed and flying in five four hour days with about six-seven teens?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3DR has a $50 off deal going on right now until January 2nd where you get $50 off the Quad-D kit you mentioned.

If you purchase the kit you referenced which does include the APM and add the telemetry you still only come up to $554.98.  You probably will really want the telemetry kit since you'll be flying waypoints.  The amount of information you can get from this add-on item really adds to the value of your quad!

Depending on which shipping options you use you should still come in under $700.

If you do have extra money in your budget after purchasing all of this I'd spend it on a couple of sets of extra props! ;-) 

-Mike

• Were you aware the Frame Kit for $505 includes the APM and GPS/Compass?  So you don't need the APM & GPS you listed.

Even if you add the 3DR radio (wireless link) you should be under $700

Rick

• T3
    Check out this workshop. Shipping might be an issue, depending on where you are and your time frame you have.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/quadcopter-workshop-1
  • You could save a lot of money on the frame. This could be DIY (roll your own or such as described by flitetest, I made my own using grp plate, some 16mm carbon tubes off ebay and pitlab clamps), or go to somewhere like hobby king (the HAL quad is ok, my mate has one...not perfect, but ok).

grab a hobbyking q brain speed controller (4 in 1). Id recommend getting the power module and telemetry, makes monitoring the battery much safer and also you know what flight mode the beast is in at all times.

Depends on how much work you are prepared to do your self or pay a bit more with a more ready to use package.

Stu

This reply was deleted.

Activity