Here's my evaluation of the XproHeli HD GoPro landing gear/mount

I decided to purchase the Xpro Heli Camera Mount 2 to add to my SK-450 quadcopter platform.

When I opened the box I was impressed with the craftsmanship, but skeptical about the tinsel strenght of the 1/8" aluminum landing gear.    I figured it MUST be aircraft aluminum.    I get a big X for assuming that.   I figured before I buy a gopro I better test this gear out.  So I went and got a 400g weight to substitute for a GoPro and ziptied it to the camera shelf.   I also grabbed an 8 pack of AA batteries still in packaging and ziptied it to the bottom of my LiPo battery since I'll be swapping out my 2200ma for a 6000ma battery soon.  Anyway headed over to Colt State Park to test out the gear.   If I were you, look for landing gear made of G10.  G10 is very strong.  Also look for landing gear that has a wide stance, it will be more stable during takeoff.

Here's are photos I took after the flight tests with the new flight gear.  Note: this was not a crash, look at my frame, my quad is fine.  This is a landing with just a little forward velocity.  The landing gear could not handle it:

Note: The landing gear cost me 3x more than my frame that I have not destroyed while learning how to fly!  G10 flexes just enough not to stress the fiberglass arms.  Well done. 

The landing gear.. I hope to get a partial refund at least.  They claim it's compatible with a Guai 550x

and similar sized frames.  My frame is a 450.  

I figured I'd post the pictures up here to save the rest of you the hassle of spending money for nothing.

I'm real happy with the performance I am getting from my quad... but real disappointed with the performance of this landing gear.

Tags: gear, landing, quadcopter

Views: 675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like the manufacturer was more interested in first time buyers rather than repeat buyers.  ah well.

It quite possibly is 6061 alloy which is "aircraft grade", but unfortunately they never tell you what the temper is It's probably "O" which is dead-soft, instead of T6 which is what most people think of as "aircraft grade".

The problem is "aircraft grade" is a pretty meaningless description.  

Oh man I experienced how soft that aluminum was!  I didn't crash. I was just taking off, flying forward, landing, taking off from the landing spot, then landing at the original takeoff spot.   Just a little forward velocity at landing and the legs caved in.   If I had a decent camcorder mounted on it I could of lost it.   I think G10 landing gear would work well.  I'm curious to what the manufacturer is going to do for me.  The landing gear cost me more than my frame.    I adapted my SK-450 to take a 6000ma LiPo and a Veho Micro digital camcorder.  So other then needing height to clear tall grass at take off I am all set for now.  My SK-450 has proven itself to be very durable.   

@Jerry,  Thanks for doing the test, and for sharing the results (painful though they were). I am now working with a different version of the XP2 frame, the one that is sold with their RTF product. There appear to be some differences in the structural design between what I have and what you have. I do not know which aluminum material was used in the instance that I have. As a side note, I can say from years of industry experience in several companies, that the risk of miscommunication through every step from product design to delivery is very high. So many points of potential and actual failure (and usually not as complex as what led to the Challenger disaster).

As a personal rule on this blog, I try to avoid making critical comments of products or producers until I have enough information. I don't always succeed at following that rule, but I try.

Anyway, if you discover (or make) a better, shall we say "lower frame" design/product out of G-10 or any other material(s), please share! I am now pondering the safest way to fly a Sony NEX-5N with a 16mm lens, so I am very, very interested to hear how you or others have minimized the risks - and still get useful video (and not of the landing gear or props).

It's interesting that there are many products to protect camera gear under water, but not many for those of us who want to put one in the air for a few minutes. The numbers of SCUBA, snorkeler and in-water videographers seems to outnumber those of us working with multirotors, etc.. And so we are DIYers. :-)

Again, thanks for sharing the results.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service